Data Usage
Tonibeau

Suddenly my usage is increasing at a ridiculous rate.  Two days prior to the end of my cycle I showed about 1 gb left.  Not wanting to incur increase charges, I upgraded to xl plan - 12 gb to 16 gb.  This should have left me with about 4 gb as my usage is not usually high.  My new period started today and showed .15 gb approx. left to carry over.  How did I use 4gb in two days!  I cannot do analysis as it shows as unavailable for this plan or ta this time!  HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!  NOT VERY HAPPY!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data Usage
rcschnoor
Legend

Tonibeau wrote:

HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!

I will try to do so.

There are multiple ways Verizon allows you to change your plan. (1)You can have the change take effect on the date you initiate the change, (2)you can back date the change to the beginning of your billing cycle or (3)you can have the change take effect at the beginning of your next billing cycle.

(1) Change take effect on the date you initiate the change. You say you made the change with 2 days left in your billing cycle and you went from 12 GB to 16 GB. If you made the change take effect on this day, you would have had 11.2 GB of data((28days/30days) x 12 GB = 11.2 GB) to have used for the first 28 days of this billing cycle. You would have had 1.07 GB of data((2days/30days) x 16 GB = 1.07 GB) to use for the last 2 days of your billing cycle. Your next bill would have had a refund for 2 days at the old data allowance cost and a charge for 2 days at the new data allowance cost + a charge for next month at the new data allowance cost. Any data left over from the 11.2 GB during the first 28 days PLUS any data left over from the 1.07 GB during the last 2 days would be available for carryover.

(2) Back date to beginning of your billing cycle. If you do this, you would have had 16 GB to use throughout your entire billing cycle. Your next bill would have a refund for the full amount of last month's data allowance and a charge for the new allowance for last month + a charge for the new allowance for next month. Any data left over from this 16 GB would be available for carryover.

(3) Take effect next billing cycle. Nothing changes for current month. Changes take effect next month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you changed your data plan, did you backdate the changes to the beginning of the billing cycle date?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tonibeau,

We always want to ensure your account is set up correctly. So we can better investigate please respond to the email I have sent you. You can also reach out to us through this link http://spr.ly/6581BCwRf

DerekR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tonibeau

Yes I did

0 Likes
Tonibeau

I responded to the email and it came back as undeliverable.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did they send you a Direct Message in the community or an actual email not from the VZW community?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Wha kind of phone do you have.Is it one that has had an update lately? If it was you have to check ALL your settings as the update probably reset everything back to the default.

0 Likes
jody54451

Totally agree! I have had enough. Bye-bye Verizon!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Tonibeau wrote:

HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!

I will try to do so.

There are multiple ways Verizon allows you to change your plan. (1)You can have the change take effect on the date you initiate the change, (2)you can back date the change to the beginning of your billing cycle or (3)you can have the change take effect at the beginning of your next billing cycle.

(1) Change take effect on the date you initiate the change. You say you made the change with 2 days left in your billing cycle and you went from 12 GB to 16 GB. If you made the change take effect on this day, you would have had 11.2 GB of data((28days/30days) x 12 GB = 11.2 GB) to have used for the first 28 days of this billing cycle. You would have had 1.07 GB of data((2days/30days) x 16 GB = 1.07 GB) to use for the last 2 days of your billing cycle. Your next bill would have had a refund for 2 days at the old data allowance cost and a charge for 2 days at the new data allowance cost + a charge for next month at the new data allowance cost. Any data left over from the 11.2 GB during the first 28 days PLUS any data left over from the 1.07 GB during the last 2 days would be available for carryover.

(2) Back date to beginning of your billing cycle. If you do this, you would have had 16 GB to use throughout your entire billing cycle. Your next bill would have a refund for the full amount of last month's data allowance and a charge for the new allowance for last month + a charge for the new allowance for next month. Any data left over from this 16 GB would be available for carryover.

(3) Take effect next billing cycle. Nothing changes for current month. Changes take effect next month.

0 Likes