Why Won't My New iPhone 7's Ring When Getting A Call?
JBANDMGB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Two new iPhone 7's using iOS 10 Verizon upgrades from iPhone 6's.  Both phones can initiate calls but don't ring when called.  Do Not Disturb is off, phones are configured normally.  Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Two new iPhone 7's don't ring. Why?
JBANDMGB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm answering my own question after a bit of research...

It appears if you upgrade your phone through Verizon, that when you're activating the new phone (and thus deactivating the old phone), they can put your number into "call forwarding" to your voice mail.  (This does make some sense, because there might be a short time during which your phone isn't reachable via the network and sending calls to voice mail is the only recourse.)

Simple fix...   Tap the Phone app, then tap Keypad in the tab bar at the bottom of the screen.  Type "*73" (which is the "cancel forwarding" command) and send by tapping the green button.  Wait for some beeps and hang up.  With any luck, your phone will now ring when called.

There's a nice troubleshooting feature in Settings / Phone / Verizon Services / My Verizon from the iPhone that discusses other reasons your phone might not ring.  This *73 tip is one of them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JBANDMGB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm answering my own question after a bit of research...

It appears if you upgrade your phone through Verizon, that when you're activating the new phone (and thus deactivating the old phone), they can put your number into "call forwarding" to your voice mail.  (This does make some sense, because there might be a short time during which your phone isn't reachable via the network and sending calls to voice mail is the only recourse.)

Simple fix...   Tap the Phone app, then tap Keypad in the tab bar at the bottom of the screen.  Type "*73" (which is the "cancel forwarding" command) and send by tapping the green button.  Wait for some beeps and hang up.  With any luck, your phone will now ring when called.

There's a nice troubleshooting feature in Settings / Phone / Verizon Services / My Verizon from the iPhone that discusses other reasons your phone might not ring.  This *73 tip is one of them.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Does the call come in and you just can hear a ring, that r does the phone not receive the call at all?

If latter, Call forwarding on? Dial *73 to cancel. Try it even if you don't think it is on.

0 Likes