How can I report a 4G tower that is not performing well (0.1mbit)
MARWEL89
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work in 85613, Fort Huachuca and the Verizon cell tower that services us has gone from multiple 3-10Mbit of bandwidth (around February-March 2016) and has since dropped down to sub 0.5Mbit. I have driven around the area and even within a couple hundred feet of the tower and the bandwidth remains the same no matter how strong the signal bars indicate. This is only a problem with the tower on Fort Huachuca, as soon as I drive 2mi into Sierra Vista 85635, I pick up the next tower and speeds return to 3-10MBit.

I even went to the Verizon store and they replaced the SIM on my iPhone SE and there was no change in performance.

Please help!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
Re: How can I report a 4G tower that is not performing well (0.1mbit)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello MARWEL89. We appreciate you reporting this. When did this trouble begin for you? Are other Verizon Wireless customers impacted as well? Is this impacting voice calls and text messages as well?

KristieQ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MARWEL89
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, thank you for the follow-up! Voice calls seem to be unaffected, and text/SMS messages are slow but usually go through.

Almost everyone in my office are Verizon customers because it is frankly the best service in our community and we are all seeing very slow bandwidth from the Fort Huachuca area. Other phones are iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6, and iPad Air 2 all running on Verizon 4G LTE are getting typically <0.5Mbit. We started noticing this about the March-April timeframe. I read online that swicthing back to 3G may actually be better and oddly enough I am getting 2-5Mbit from the same areas.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marwel89, thank you so much for all of that information. This will greatly help us. Is it better indoors or outdoors? Please run a device health check through the My Verizon Mobile app and send us the results http://vz.to/2a5RaeM.

ZangY_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MARWEL89
Enthusiast - Level 2

The speed is the same whether I am inside or outside the building.

I ran the health status check and found nothing wrong with the phone. There was no "share results" function in the app so I took a screenshot.

IMG_3071.PNG

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information, MARWEL89. Let’s continue to work on this together and make sure you are getting the best signal. Have there been any changes to the area when this started such as construction or new buildings? What happens when trying to load a web page or using the apps? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
MARWEL89
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm actually beginning to think it is a capacity issue. My signal happens to be fairly consistent (3 bars or higher). But the bandwidth is the problem. I had to come to work early at 5AM and I was able to get about 2-3Mbit download, but after an hour, it went down to ~0.5Mbit and it stays that way pretty much until 8PM. Fort Huachuca area does have a work community that grows and shrinks by 10k people on a daily basis and I just think that maybe the tower is overworked.

I tested the tower just outside Fort Huachuca, 1.5 miles away in area code 85635 and I was immediately getting 35Mbit download speeds.

0 Likes
MARWEL89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there anything I can do to report this to my local Verizon Wireless store? Do they have the ability to check to see if there are network congestion issues? The lack of bandwidth is starting to negatively affect the general use of my phone. iPhone SE with IOS10 heavily relies on the network for the messaging app and the app appears to freeze but is just waiting on data to arrive. Again, this is not a problem in the rest of the city in 85635 where network speeds are great 3-5+MBs.

0 Likes
jcl197

Hello! I am in Washington DC and I am experiencing the exact same problem as you, speed during day is 0.1 to 0.2 mbps down and 0 or 0.1mbps uploads. If I go around town and move to a different area I get slightly higher speed like 1-2 mbps down. The speeds dont seem to improve until after 9-10 pm and they are ok all night and then right around 7 AM the speeds drop down to extremely slow data which is unusable.

I posted on this forum but have not received a response from anyone. Calling verizon support provided no resolution either.  I've taken it upon myself to research and try to figure this out.

Do you know what LTE Band your phone is connecting to?? verizon uses LTE bands 2, 4 and 13

It appears as if Verizons network cannot handle all the users they have recruited through aggressive advertising and there is not enough bandwidth for all the customers.. So much for their advertising campaign claiming they have the most reliable network.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jcl197!

Of course we want  you to get the fastest speeds possible. I read your post and I see that you mentioned trying the speedtest in different locations and at different times of day. This is really the name of the game when it comes to data speeds. It's normal to show different speeds at different times of day, even when in the same location. This is due to the fact that the number of users makes a difference. The more users there are, the more bandwidth that is being used. This is really the nature of wireless service. Keep in mind that it has been proven to be the best. Check it out here: vzw.com/coveragelocator

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes