Can a Jetpack replace in-home internet?
DARLIP65

With in-home internet prices rising, can a jetpack replace the service?  How much data would be required to use this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can a Jetpack replace in-home internet?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> With in-home internet prices rising, can a jetpack replace the service?

Yes.  But I would not recommend using a Jetpack or even any kind of metered data usage internet provider as a replacement for in home always on internet service.

Jetpacks in particular are not the proper device to use if you wanted to use VZW as your primary internet connection.  Instead you should check out VZWs 4G LTE home routers or a USB modem + Wireless Router combo.

> How much data would be required to use this?

It is impossible for us to answer this question.  Everyone uses different amounts of data to do whatever it is they enjoy using the internet for.

To answer the question for yourself you would have to setup a network monitor to start capturing your internet traffic and building some reports for yourself.

VZW has estimation tools but even those need to be taken with a grain of salt. It really depends on what you are doing and what devices you are connecting.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> With in-home internet prices rising, can a jetpack replace the service?

Yes.  But I would not recommend using a Jetpack or even any kind of metered data usage internet provider as a replacement for in home always on internet service.

Jetpacks in particular are not the proper device to use if you wanted to use VZW as your primary internet connection.  Instead you should check out VZWs 4G LTE home routers or a USB modem + Wireless Router combo.

> How much data would be required to use this?

It is impossible for us to answer this question.  Everyone uses different amounts of data to do whatever it is they enjoy using the internet for.

To answer the question for yourself you would have to setup a network monitor to start capturing your internet traffic and building some reports for yourself.

VZW has estimation tools but even those need to be taken with a grain of salt. It really depends on what you are doing and what devices you are connecting.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm curious. How much is too much for home internet service? Do you know how much data you go through on a landline internet connection?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am all about getting the best deal possible, no question about it DARLIP65. The Jetpack can make a great alternative to home service but as John stated, it really depends on the use of the service. Here is our tool to help calculate a rough estimate of what data usage you can expect: https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Yenelli
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've successfully used a jet pack at home for the past year, though I only use it evenings/weekends, and only 1 connection (me). Lately, the speed of facebook, mindless games like candycrush have dropped enormously on the computer with some connections not resolving at all, or a blank app with the tiny circle that sometimes doesn't even move. This includes FB gif posts. 

All in all, using it maybe 15 hours a week, is somewhere between 7GB and 21 GB; I guess that's because some weeks are heavy system updates. If I go over 22, the speed drops, but even at LOW usage rates, speeds are variable (which is why I dropped Comcast).
I don't even stream Netflix or Amazon video (which is what I had hoped to do)!

With the WFH situation encouraged for all  workplaces in King County WA state, what sorts of "deals" are available? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yenelli, we can relate to how important it is to have speed by your side. Help is here. What speeds are you receiving? Please run a speed test and provide the upload and download speeds. What city and intersection are you near? KatiM_VZW

0 Likes