Returning phone
RudiJWT

This may be a random question and the answer may be out there but I know that in order to upgrade one must pay off 50% of their phone. However, what if I want to cancel my Verizon plan and not keep my phone? I know I may have paid money into the phone and not get it back but if I want to swap to another carrier then my phone won't work for it. So is it possible to pay up to the 50% and return the phone with no upgrade?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Returning phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RudiJWT, we understand wanting to know your options. Our community members are definitely correct in stating that you are required to pay the remainder of the phone if you terminate your line. Are you looking to cancel service or just curious as to how things work? We want to do everything possible to ensure your happiness with us.

MarcusS_VZW
VZWlow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can cancel the line,  but you will be required to pay the remaining balance of the device. You can then sell the device on Swappa or another third party site and recoup most or more of the balance you owed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

No, you must pay off the phone.  You cant just hand it back and leave.  The 50% payoff to upgrade is no longer active either. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RudiJWT, we understand wanting to know your options. Our community members are definitely correct in stating that you are required to pay the remainder of the phone if you terminate your line. Are you looking to cancel service or just curious as to how things work? We want to do everything possible to ensure your happiness with us.

MarcusS_VZW
VZWlow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Weth wrote:

The 50% payoff to upgrade is no longer active either.

That would certainly depend on the device. Some devices are eligible for an annual upgrade where you are able to upgrade every year after paying off 50% of the device and then returning it in good working condition and starting over again with a new model.

Currently, those eligible devices would be some iPhones(6S, 6s+) and Samsungs(GS7, GS7 Edge, Note 7). There may be other models which I have not included.

0 Likes
RudiJWT

I am looking to cancel my service. My fiancee and I are looking to consolidate our phone bills without paying too much for service. Having a $20 connecting fee per phone would already make the bill $40 without any plans. And if we both have a payment for our phones that could increase the bill by $60+ so that would mean at least $100+ per line for just phones.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

RudiJWT wrote:

Having a $20 connecting fee per phone would already make the bill $40 without any plans. And if we both have a payment for our phones that could increase the bill by $60+ so that would mean at least $100+ per line for just phones.

I assume you mean $50+ per line or $100+ for 2 lines.

As has been stated previously, you can pay off your device and then sell it at a site such as swappa.com in order to recoup very likely more than the payoff amount which is due. Then you would be able to purchase a phone which has a monthly payment of much less than $30. Verizon has smartphones with monthly payments beginning at $6. That is a lot of savings over a $30/month phone payment.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Where are you going to go? New T-mobile plan is $70 for the first line, $50 for second line, and that doesn't include the phones. That would be equivalent to Verizon with with 16 GB, with no overage and unlimited throttled internet after 16 GB, carryover, and Canada/Mexico calling and roaming.

You'll need to look at prepaid plans, which also do not include the phones.

0 Likes