Droid MAXX 4.4.4 GPS Issues (need advanced troubleshooting methods)
Stephendsotm

I am currently using a one year old Droid MAXX running 4.4.4 KitKat.  As of late, I have been experiencing issues with my GPS holding a satellite lock.  I have been using an app called Ulysse Gizmo to obtain a visual of how my phone is interacting with satellites and it seems that it will occasionally connect to a few of the many satellites shown in the app, but the connection usually drops within a matter of seconds.  I have been troubleshooting this issue on my own for a few weeks now and have taken two trips to the Verizon Store only to be told that nothing can be done.  I am convinced that this is a software issue as I have read many reports by users having the same issues (satellites locking and disconnecting).  SOURCE: Issue 81140 - android - GPS Lollipop - Instability - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - G... Now I understand that this the thread linked is specifically for Lollipop, but I believe I am having the same issue on KitKat. 

Here is a list of the troubleshooting I have done in the past few weeks:

-Factory Data Reset.

-Rebooting into safe mode.

-Clearing Cache Partition and rebooting

-Clearing cached data in the "storage" section of settings.

-Toggled location settings between "device only" and "high accuracy".

-Enabled roaming data.

-Removed and reinstalled SIM card.

-Downloading GPS Status and Toolbox (resetting AGPS data and redownloading AGPS data).

-Toggling Bluetooth on and off.

-Toggling wifi on and off.

It might also be worth mentioning that my phone can sometimes hold a lock in safe mode for about half a day, but will then disconnect without rhyme or reason and leaving me back at step one.  I have tried to observe a pattern for what could be doing this, but there doesn't seem to be one.  In the link I posted above, one user mentioned how he fixed his problem by editing the gps.conf in his phone.  This can only be done with a rooted device, and I cannot root my phone on 4.4.4 (nor do I really want to).

If anybody could help me with this issue it would be very much appreciated.  I am starting to lose faith that I will find a solution to my problem.

P.s. My upgrade is not available for another year, I do not have insurance on my phone, and the warranty expired last month. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid MAXX 4.4.4 GPS Issues (need advanced troubleshooting methods)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stephendsotm, 

I used my GPS daily to find the best commute to work, so I definitely understand how important it is to have it working. I want to thank you for all the steps you have done so far to get the device GPS issue resolved. I have sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes