Unlimited Data Confusion
michael042592

A few months ago I was informed at a Verizon store that I had until December to get under a 2 year agreement otherwise I would lose my unlimited data. My only option was to purchase a phone full retail and if I did a monthly installment plan, then I would automatically lose unlimited data.
Just yesterday, that same store told me that my ONLY option to keep unlimited data was to sign the 2 year agreement and to do the monthly installment on the phone of my choice.
Today, however, I called Verizon and the lady I spoke with told me I was NOT required to sign a new plan OR do a monthly installment on a new phone in order to keep my unlimited data.
At this point, I don't know who has the accurate info and who doesn't. 
Anyone have any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data Confusion
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

michael042592, as a Verizon rep, your experience leaves me wincing. Our goal is to provide you with accurate information the first time, and we are sorry this was not the case. Forum member buddyguyfriend is correct by providing the different options you have towards getting a new device.
As far as the increase in cost for unlimited, that is true too. Perhaps we can evaluate to see if this is the best plan for you. If you log into your MyVerizon account, how much data does it show that you are using? You can check here : https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/clp/login?redirect=/vzw/secure/services/myusage.action

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you want to get a new phone thru Verizon you'll need to pay full price either upfront or via device payments. Also once your contract is up expect your data price to increase form $30 a month to $50. The only way to get a 2 year contract is to get an phone with a discounted upgrade which you can't on unlimited data anymore. Honestly don't expect unlimited data to stick around much longer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Michael, sounds like they were both correct. Let's see if we can clear this matter up. Some of our customers had different plans and contract dates. Everything depended on what plan and contract you were or are on. We need to take a closer look at this for you.

Please send us a private message by visiting our Facebook page or sending us a DM to ______@VZWSupport on Twitter. This way we can further assist you.

RalphT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

michael042592, as a Verizon rep, your experience leaves me wincing. Our goal is to provide you with accurate information the first time, and we are sorry this was not the case. Forum member buddyguyfriend is correct by providing the different options you have towards getting a new device.
As far as the increase in cost for unlimited, that is true too. Perhaps we can evaluate to see if this is the best plan for you. If you log into your MyVerizon account, how much data does it show that you are using? You can check here : https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/clp/login?redirect=/vzw/secure/services/myusage.action

DavidH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
michael042592

I know I use a lot of data. Currently I'm at 27GB. My cycle ends on the 7th. That's probably an average for me.

What if I kept things the way they are and keep the phone I have? Will I eventually be forced to sign a 2 year plan?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to be sure you know all of your available options michael042592. Keeping your plan and phone would not require you to agree to a new two year contract. Have you received a letter from us regarding your unlimited data plan or any changes being made to your plan?

RashadM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
michael042592

No I haven't. It is my understanding that data abusers are the only ones receiving these letters. I know I'm not in that category but I do want to do all I can to keep the unlimited data.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Depends on how you got your unlimited plan. If it has been yours from the start and you did not get it from somewhere else other than Verizon directly and you use 25 GB, I suspect you are ok for now.

Up until recently you could only buy a new phone at full price and keep unlimited. However, recently that changed and you can now do a 24 month payment plan or full price. You just cannot do a contract.

Verizon will likely keep raising prices on Unlimited. How much do you pay now? You should always compare what is best for you as the new plans do allow you to get 24 GB data with no overages and carryover data for $130 a month. When that price goes below what you are paying on unlimited, you should choose what is best for you.

0 Likes
BENTRU98

I have unlimited data since when it was first available.  I was forced to buy my S3 and Note 4 out right to keep my data plan.  I JUST called this morning and ALSO tried to upgrade through the app.  I AM ABLE to keep my data plan if I decide to pay off the full price of the phone of the new note 7 coming out, over 24 months.  OR sign a new 2 year contract and pay for the phone at 299.99 and still keep my unlimited data.  I am very pleased they brought that back.  Been a Verizon customer since the first Android phone.  The 2 year contract doesn't bother me,  and paying for the new note 7 at 300 bucks for current holders of unlimited data, is amazing.  Version just got more awesome for grand fathered members.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I Would be worried you have received incorrect information and you will lose your unlimited data. Verizon has not changed its policy to allow unlimited plans to get 2 year contracts and get a subsidized phone. If you want to keep unlimited you will need to buy the new phone full price or finance over 24 months interest free. You have been warned.