Why is my device using so much data?
rockthecasbah121

My family plan went over its data plan this month so I've been actively monitoring my usage. I keep my cellular data completely shut off unless I specifically need to use it. I measured it today, and only about 15 minutes of web browsing and checking pop mail equated to 37mb of data usage. I have the data usage turned off for every single app other than safari and mail. Any idea what could be going on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone seems like its using excessive data just for web browsing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rockthecasbah121-

It's always best to monitor your data usage, I know that I actively monitor my account after a few data overages at my house as well. I always recommend shutting off your cellular data when not in use as to preserve as much data as possible and use Wifi as much as possible. The amount of data used in a particular session does depend on the type of activity that was done. Were there pictures attached to the emails or picture graphics? That would equate for higher than normal data packets. You can use our handy data calculator to determine how much data will be used for popular activities: http://vz.to/1T9B2ey

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Viewing Facebook, videos, graphics heavy sites? You could have opted to increase your data plan for the current billing cycle to avoid overage charges.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rockthecasbah121-

It's always best to monitor your data usage, I know that I actively monitor my account after a few data overages at my house as well. I always recommend shutting off your cellular data when not in use as to preserve as much data as possible and use Wifi as much as possible. The amount of data used in a particular session does depend on the type of activity that was done. Were there pictures attached to the emails or picture graphics? That would equate for higher than normal data packets. You can use our handy data calculator to determine how much data will be used for popular activities: http://vz.to/1T9B2ey

AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes