Saving Google Play Movies to larger SD card
TV_Actor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet on my plan, which is now totally useless to me because its current operating system will not allow me to download and save movies to a 120GB SD card that I bought for specifically that purpose.  I travel alot and want to watch movies on my tablet.  But there is no way to specify that downloads from Google Play TV/Movies save to my SD card.  Do I have no alternative but throw the Tab 2 in the garbage and buy another tablet with an updated OS?  I am royally [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] !

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Saving Google Play Movies to larger SD card
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may not save directly to the SD card, but you can probably download it, then move it from the downloads folder to the SD card for viewing later.  You can do this with a file manager app from the playstore.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

Talk to Google did you check the settings?

Should be under downloads in settings

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's not the OS version by the way.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may not save directly to the SD card, but you can probably download it, then move it from the downloads folder to the SD card for viewing later.  You can do this with a file manager app from the playstore.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Steve, I can understand your dilemma, I also like to download movies onto SD cards for watching. I recently had the same problem, but decided to just purchase several 64GB SD cards. I just fill them up and switch them out. I have a case for them, and I have all the movie time I need. The cards, are a dime a dozen these days and will cost less than a new Tablet.

Good Luck and thank you for being a loyal customer.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Depending on which version of the OS you have will dictate the answer to this.  I believe it was Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean that put all kinds of restrictions on the SD Card so apps could not write directly to the SD Card.  They quickly came up with if the app creates the folder on the SD Card, then that app can write to it.  Regardless, save the movies to your tablet itself.  lug into your computer and copy the movies either directly to the SD Card (It may not let you depending on how literal the manufacturer too the code) or write to your computer first, then to your SD Card.  From your computer you can write anything to the SD Card