Why is my device using data when wi-fi on?
piercy

I am desperate to find out why my laptop and/or ipad are using data when I have wifi turned on.  It is not coming from my iPhone.  Last month's usage was 40GBs and I just cannot afford this!!!  Bill was over $400!!  I have called Verizon several times and looked online for answers but keep coming up with nothing.  I've turned off automatic downloads, upgrades, etc.  Son plays Clash of Clowns but from what I have read it doesn't use that much.  I surf a lot but 40 GBs??  I sure hope someone can help me because I am going to be forced to go back to the old days with no at home computer.  thanks.  Mary

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is laptop using data when wifi on?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

piercy wrote:

I am desperate to find out why my laptop and/or ipad are using data when I have wifi turned on.

Anytime you are on the internet, you are using data.  "Turning wifi on", using a wifi signal, you are still using data - the wifi signal is coming from somewhere - either a home internet connection like cable or dsl, or a FIOS connection, and you pay for that data connection.  Generally, a broadband connection like that is less than wireless data through your cell phone company or a wireless device, and it broadcasts a wifi signal so you aren't using your cell phone's data when you connect to it.  You pay $40-$80 or so per month for virtually unlimited data (hundreds of GB) on a high speed connection, and even with computers, phones, and other devices using the data, you won't be throttled since the limit is so high.

If you are using cellular data it's a lot more costly.  You said you have a wireless connection with Verizon - what kind of a device is it?  Where does the wireless signal come from?

View solution in original post

lastbesthope

Mary, what do you do when you surf? It sounds like you may watch videos or music. You should check your Data Utilization Tool when you log into My Verizon.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your laptop?  Do you have a home internet connection, cable or DSL?  That should handle way more than 40 GB.  What "wifi" are lyou referring to for the laptop and iPad?  If it's a MiFi, or USB dongle device, then it is using your data plan.  That's not really meant for full time internet usage, and 40 GB can be gone in a hurry.  Facebook videos (it's LOADED with videos these days!) can eat a chunk of data quickly.  Gaming can also use a lot of data....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

YouTube started with live video recently. They also now preload video which you have to turn off or it'll chew data unsuspectingly even if you didn't watch the video.

0 Likes
piercy

When I surf I check email, facebook (no videos) and bid on online auctions.  I have a wireless internet connection with Verizon, not mifi, cable or DSL.  Someone has suggested that even though when my son plays Clash of Clans it is not using much data, if he has it tethered it may be.  I looked on his ipad but don't know how to check for tethering.  I have satellite TV wit Direct TV and turned the WIFI connection off.  Thanks everyone for your help;  I do check my usage and the majority is with the first category - can't recall what it is!  I think it mentions news, shopping, etc.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

piercy,

We want to find out the cause of this data usage. lastbesthope, I truly thank you for your great questions to assist with Mary's concern. Piercy, I have a few clarifying questoins so we can make sure we fully understand your concern. To clarify, are you stating you have an LTE installed device at your home for data usage? http://vz.to/1xoayvr

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just in case your Verizon Internet service at home is DSL and it's a bit flaky, on all of your Apple Devices, turn off Wi-Fi Assist.

Settings > Cellular > Scroll all the way to the bottom and turn off the Wi-Fi Assist. If your iOS version is newer, Apple will also show how much data Wi-Fi Assist caused on the account in this section. Also check the Verizon Wireles saccount to see what device is consuming all of the data plan, and then check that device for usage counters as to what is eating up the data.

Do make sure if you're connecting your iPhone via USB to the computer, that USB Tethering and Personal Hotspot are not enabled. These features may cause your computer to balance some data between your phone's data plan and the computer's Wi-Fi connection, which can and will get pricy.

0 Likes
piercy

I don't think I have an LTE installed device.  How would I know?  I checked my bill and also the information about the device and can't see anything that tells me I have this.

0 Likes
piercy

I also do not have DSL as it's not available in my area.  If someone can explain what to look for, I might be able to state what I have better.  Sorry I'm so ignorant about this stuff but I'm old!!!! 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

piercy wrote:

I am desperate to find out why my laptop and/or ipad are using data when I have wifi turned on.

Anytime you are on the internet, you are using data.  "Turning wifi on", using a wifi signal, you are still using data - the wifi signal is coming from somewhere - either a home internet connection like cable or dsl, or a FIOS connection, and you pay for that data connection.  Generally, a broadband connection like that is less than wireless data through your cell phone company or a wireless device, and it broadcasts a wifi signal so you aren't using your cell phone's data when you connect to it.  You pay $40-$80 or so per month for virtually unlimited data (hundreds of GB) on a high speed connection, and even with computers, phones, and other devices using the data, you won't be throttled since the limit is so high.

If you are using cellular data it's a lot more costly.  You said you have a wireless connection with Verizon - what kind of a device is it?  Where does the wireless signal come from?