battery life on new samsung s7 stinks?
cberr

I just recently switched from my s5 for the main reason that my battery life seemed to be diminishing.  So, I went with a new s7, expecting great things and increased battery life. I am starting to regret the decision.  I can honestly say I noticed a big decrease in battery life compared to my s5. I thought I was imagining it because when I first got the phone I figured maybe it was because I was playing with it alot, it being a new to me device. So I waited it out to see as I slipped back into normal use. I kept all the same apps, which wasnt much, to compare, and the new s7 was down to barely nothing in a matter of hours, where as my s5 lasted the whole day. Hmm. Again, was it me, or maybe some rogue app killing the battery. So, I did a factory reset and made sure none of my apps got recovered from my backup, and only let the apps that came with the phone update.  And then I let it sit. I turned off the wifi, and whatever else was on that would typically be a battery drainer. After a few hours I was down to about 78 percent.   And this is doing absolutely nothing. Now, if this was my s5, I'd probably still be in the 90's. Again, hmmm.   I am trying to give it the benefit of the doubt but I really don;t think I am imagining this. I googled Samsung s7 and battery and really found little complaints and just rave reviews of the increased battery size. So I am thinking this may be an actual hardware issue?  I was gonna call but figured I'd ask here. I only had the phone for, this would be, the 17th day. I am unfortunately past the 14 day return deadline. I shoul dhave just left good enough alone and kept my s5. But here I am, lol.  Again, I did a factory reset so no apps are running, at least that I am aware of. I did a battery check and it said no data to show for specific battery usage or something to that affect. 

0 Likes
Re: battery life on new samsung s7 stinks?
Malbelo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switched from iPhone / AT&T to Verizon and GS7.  Having used this phone for 6 days now, I've never made it thru  day without having to charge the phone.

I have read that all the other carriers (AT&T,  SPRINT, TMO,  everyone else but Verizon) have release the PB8 update that supposedly fixed the battery drain by Android System.

I'm ready to switch back to AT&T just to get a GS7 that has the update  

C'MON Verizon, let's get caught up with everyone else and release that update that all your competitors have pushed out!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to love your phone and I'm here to help because we don't want to lose you. How much battery life are you receiving after a full charging cycle? Do you have any high risk applications installed: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/high-risk-android-apps/ ?

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
tlake84
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's because of the lack of updates/bug fixes. Which by the way Tmobile just updated again today (5/4/2016) and are now on the May Security patch as well. Meanwhile, VZW users are still sitting on February security and still living with tons of bugs that have been fixed on all other carriers...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They got an update for FM radio which may include bug fixes. The bug fix was for a audio bug which had nothing to do with battery life. Also the previous update had little to do with battery life either.

Just in case you are wondering. Yes I have  T-Mobile S7 variant in my hands. 🙂

0 Likes
tlake84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wasn't wondering. But thanks for the info, I made the remark in regards to the security level update for the last update received on Tmobile. However, there two previous large updates were in fact listed battery improvements. That is why Android System and Android OS are no longer listed as the top two battery consumers on all but the verizon model. I guess they were blatantly lying when the change log was written:

• The stability of recording video has been improved.
  • Overall device performance has been improved.
  • Battery life has been optimized.
  • The security of your device has been improved.

Still doesn't change the fact that other carriers are applying updates and fixing bugs related to battery life. By the way, why do you have a Tmobile variant in your hands while commenting on a Verizon message board?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

A lot of T-Mobile users will tell you...  Battery life hasn't been optimized.  Some people actually saw a decrease.  I am indifferent about this optimization.  I didn't gain nor loss anything.

Doesn't change the fact Verizon doesn't do updates nor touch the code.  Samsung does it alone unlike popular belief.  Also Verizon started selling the devices later and some of these bugs are already fixed as soon as you opend the box.

I am a T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and at one point a Sprint customer.  My job revolves around them Smiley Happy

0 Likes