Girlfriends insane data.
Jbergh87
Enthusiast - Level 2

My girlfriend moved back to Texas and shortly after I decided to get us both on Verizon. I have an iPhone 5s she has an lg V10. Her data is often 3 times what I use. I've noticed that instead of Texas she is in Arkansas. I'm wondering is her data going crazy is because of roaming. I'm also wondering can I completely disable roaming if that is incurring these huge data usages.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Girlfriends insane data.
Weth
Legend

Google maps definitely uses data. Make sure she doesn't have satellite view turned on for maps, that increases use a lot for the detailed satellite photos. Just have her put it in straight map mode. There is also a new feature in Google maps so that you can download the map and use it offline so you don't need to keep using data for the same drive. Finally it is my experience that Apple maps uses less data than Google maps, so if you can have her try that. Also see the tips below that may be helpful. Sounds like she is using you for her internet service provider, rather than getting internet at her place.

Some info to try on the LG V10:

To turn on, set, or turn off the data usage indicator, follow these steps:

Part A

1. From any home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
  4. Choose from the following options:
    • Turn on a data usage limit
      • Select the Limit mobile data usage check box. A new horizontal red bar appears in the graph.
      • Touch the red bar and slide up or down to the desired data amount. When you reach this data amount, your data connection will be automatically disabled.
    • Set the data usage limit
      • Touch the red bar and slide up or down to the desired data amount.
      • When you reach this data amount, your data connection will be automatically disabled.
    • Turn off a data usage limit
      • Clear the Limit mobile data usage check box.
      • The red bar will disappear from the graph.
    • Set the usage warning
      • Touch the orange bar and slide up or down to set the data usage warning.
      • This will not automatically disable your data connection; select a very high value to avoid receiving a warning.

Part B

To view how much data certain apps are using, follow these steps:

2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
  4. Scroll down to view a list of apps with data usage.
  5. Tap an application to view more details.
    data+usage.png

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Location would not have anything to do with data being used.  If she was using roaming data, the cost would be huge, but just a large amount of data would be contributed to access to WiFi and actually being connected to that WiFi point.  Could also be actual usage and habits, apps running in the background, etc...

Weth
Legend

If you are on a rather recent Verizon plan, there is no data roaming within US borders. When you see a large discrepancy in data, one place to look first is video. Does she stream youtube or something else? Most phones you can find out what app is using the data, plus on My Verizon it gives you an idea of what type of data is being used so check that out and report back. I know my wife regularly uses 3 x the data I use because she like to listen to music on Youtube in the car, even though she is not watching the video, it eats it up fast. As Snn5 indicates, she should be connecting to wifi whenever possible.

I really thought I was going to see the data on why your girlfriend is insane

Jbergh87
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've asked her what's using data. I've told her to look in her cellular settings or network, she says she doesn't use YouTube or Facebook. But she uses google maps. But she can't find any place where it shows what apps are using data. I've used 1.9 gb this month she's used almost 6 gb. Does navigation use data in that fashion? She drives between Texas Oklahoma and Arkansas often... I'm on 18gb/mo with 2gb bonus and she went over last month... I can't afford $260 a month.

0 Likes
Jbergh87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh and she refuses to connect to wifi stating that she can't get wifi where she lives... I'm frustrated and may buy off her phone and put her [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] back on straight talk...

Weth
Legend

Google maps definitely uses data. Make sure she doesn't have satellite view turned on for maps, that increases use a lot for the detailed satellite photos. Just have her put it in straight map mode. There is also a new feature in Google maps so that you can download the map and use it offline so you don't need to keep using data for the same drive. Finally it is my experience that Apple maps uses less data than Google maps, so if you can have her try that. Also see the tips below that may be helpful. Sounds like she is using you for her internet service provider, rather than getting internet at her place.

Some info to try on the LG V10:

To turn on, set, or turn off the data usage indicator, follow these steps:

Part A

2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
  4. Choose from the following options:
    • Turn on a data usage limit
      • Select the Limit mobile data usage check box. A new horizontal red bar appears in the graph.
      • Touch the red bar and slide up or down to the desired data amount. When you reach this data amount, your data connection will be automatically disabled.
    • Set the data usage limit
      • Touch the red bar and slide up or down to the desired data amount.
      • When you reach this data amount, your data connection will be automatically disabled.
    • Turn off a data usage limit
      • Clear the Limit mobile data usage check box.
      • The red bar will disappear from the graph.
    • Set the usage warning
      • Touch the orange bar and slide up or down to set the data usage warning.
      • This will not automatically disable your data connection; select a very high value to avoid receiving a warning.

Part B

To view how much data certain apps are using, follow these steps:

2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
  4. Scroll down to view a list of apps with data usage.
  5. Tap an application to view more details.
    data+usage.png
Jbergh87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you weth. I will pass this info along but I guess if she says she did it I have to take her at her word. If it gets bad enough I'll use family base and give her 12-14 gb and cut her off...

Snn5
Legend

Most likely she's using some sort of music streaming at least.  That's a lot of traveling. 

0 Likes