No data plan
Nhrafan23
Enthusiast - Level 2

If someone has an old phone with no data plan would they still have a 4G signal if they turned it on.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No data plan
Snn5
Legend

You'd still see "4G" you just couldn't use it.  The phone will still find a signal, it just can't make a connection.  The apps would open, but they would not connect to data.  So, yes, you'd see the "spin thing" if the app required data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IT depends on if the phone as 4G ability and requires data, many old phones that have no data ability are 3 G only.  Voice and messaging phones did not require 4G.

IF a phone requires data, it also requires a data plan. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would love to see you take advantage of the great network we have to offer if needed. I can confirm the device will show a 4G signal even when not connected to a data plan. What can we do to help you set it up? Visit http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/why-verizon/
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Nhrafan23
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a s4 or s5 so it is 4G capable

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If you activated an S4 or S5 on a Verizon line of service without data, a data plan would automatically be added to the line.

Nhrafan23
Enthusiast - Level 2

This phone would not be activated it's a phone that no one uses since they have a different one. I'm being told it would have a 4G signal

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking time to reach out about the device. No usage can occur as the device will not have the proper setup or direct provisioning to use the network.
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You would see the 4G bars light up because the phone IS reading a signal, but you would have no ability to use data since the phone is not activated.  You can use it offline and on wifi, but not on Verizon's data network...without a data plan, and activation.

0 Likes
Nhrafan23
Enthusiast - Level 2

So the 4G would not appear just the signal strength? Also if you weren't connected to WiFi would any of the apps open or would you just see the spin thing. Lol

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You'd still see "4G" you just couldn't use it.  The phone will still find a signal, it just can't make a connection.  The apps would open, but they would not connect to data.  So, yes, you'd see the "spin thing" if the app required data.

0 Likes