Samsung S5 changes day/time randomly
vmbeck

My phone keeps randomly changing the day and time to usually sometime in December and typically sometime in the early morning. My phone is currently set to get the date and time automatically and from the network. When the date and time go out of whack, I have tried turning off "use network time" and turning that back on again, but that doesn't seem to help. The only thing that seems to help is to reboot the phone. This doesn't happen every day, but it happens frequently enough that it's super annoying - at least four times (probably more) in the last 3-4 weeks. Thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung S5 changes day/time randomly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
vmbeck,

This is definitely an odd thing to be occurring with your S5. It would bother me as well. Do you recall anything happening on the phone before this began: Any software updates or new apps downloaded? Do you happen to be doing something specific on the phone when it changes or is it just occurring at random?

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us onVZWSupportVZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vmbeck

As far as I can tell, this happens randomly. Sometimes when I'm not even actively using my phone. I'll take it out and press the "home" button to turn the screen on and it shows the wrong date and time. I ran a system update on Dec 18, 2015 (updated to G900VVRU2BOK3) and I don't remember this happening before then. My husband has the same phone and ran the same update, but he is not having this issue. My phone also randomly crashes (freezes up while I'm using an app, then I get a blank home screen - no shortcuts or anything - or the phone reboots itself). Not sure if this is related to the time issue or not, but it makes me think I got a bad phone. Again, my husband has the same model (purchased at the same time) and doesn't have this issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details about your phone vmbeck. I know its frustrating to get the wrong date and time when using your phone. The freezing and date/time could be due to an incompatible application on your phone. I would try using your phone in safe mode which disables all 3rd party apps. Here is a link with steps vz.to/1Fa63p0 . If your phone works and doesn't freeze, the issue may be due to one of the 3rd party apps you have downloaded on your phone.

I recommend removing and/or updating any 3rd party apps you may have issues with using. I also recommend temporarily removing any apps that access the Time/date on your phone.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vmbeck

Since the time/date changing happens sporadically, booting my phone into safe mode is *not* a reasonable option. I would have to keep it in safe mode for several days to several weeks and even then, if I had no problems, that would not be an unambiguous response. I don't have that many apps installed, actually (I have nearly 5GB free on my 16GB phone). Furthermore, accessing the time/date on my phone is not the same as modifying it. I imagine nearly ALL apps access the time and date on a smartphone. If you have any *real* and *productive* troubleshooting advice, I'm all ears...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let’s get set on the right time/date, Vmbeck! We can certainly understand how this would be a nuisance and want to have this issue resolved as soon as possible. Granted the device is set to pick up the time/date from the network, one surefire way to have this set is to power the device off and remove the SIM card for about 30 seconds to a minute. This will then allow the device to reconnect with the network, thus updating the correct time/date. Please test and advise of the results. Here is a link for removing the SIM card: http://vz.to/1PyuNMm

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vmbeck

Again, you seem to have misunderstood my problem. I can get my phone to change back to the correct time/date (generally by rebooting, sometimes just by waiting). What I want is for the initial change to the incorrect time/date to NOT happen. Period. Furthermore, my husband said he saw his phone also do this recently which suggests to me that this is an issue arising from the latest system update that we each ran back in December (we have very little overlap in non-system apps installed on our phones).

0 Likes