Apps won't work when not on wifi
joybells1713

When my phone is not connected to wifi, several of my apps won't refresh or load new information - WeatherUnderground, Google Maps, Hangouts, Google News. I don't have any of these set to restrict background data and I don't have any other data restrictions on my phone (that I can find). Help!

0 Likes
Re: Apps won't work when not on wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joybells1713, you've reached the right place for help. Which make/model phone do you have? When did this issue start? Did you recenlty update the software on your device or download a new application?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
joybells1713

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and this has been a problem for months. My last software update was 8/21/2015 and I haven't downloaded any new applications recently. This has been a problem with Hangouts for almost as long as I've had the phone (15 months), but I've noticed that sometimes Google Maps won't load or takes a long time to load (sometimes it works just fine). The Google News app doesn't load at all when I'm not on wifi - I get an error that says "check your internet connection" even though I have plenty of signal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use your apps is essential with your phone joybells1713. We want to make sure we get them back up and running for you. When your data is off, what signal and bars will your phone show? Are you able to open Chrome or your internet browser and load websites? Are calls and texts working with your phone?

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
joybells1713

It's just these few apps which won't work. When they don't load, I still show 4-5 bars of signal on my phone, and it shows that data is being sent/received, but the apps won't refresh. I can still receive calls and SMS messages, but I don't receive GChat messages through Google Hangouts, and I can only send them sometimes. GoogleMaps will load my location, but it won't load traffic or any navigation. I can open and use Chrome just fine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very interesting here joybells1713. Thanks for these details. It sounds like since these are all Google apps, it could be an issue with your Google account. Can you access your Gmail without issues on your phone? Have you made any changes to your Google account like new username or password?

NicoleB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
joybells1713

I haven't changed my Google username/password recently, but when I have done it in the past it hasn't had any effect on my apps. I can use Gmail without any problems, with or without wifi, it just seems to be these other apps. In addition, my WeatherUnderground app won't update when I'm not connected to wifi, so it's not just Google apps.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

I’m a consumer too, and I also use many applications on a daily basis so I truly understand how important they are in our daily phone usage Aleisha. Being that we do not have any resources to troubleshoot third party application not created by us, our troubleshooting ability is limited to uninstall the application and reinstall. Please try doing that and if issues continue contact the application developer for further assistance.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
joybells1713

Are you telling me there is no way this is a phone setting, but instead several of my apps (by different developers) simultaneously have the same problem? That seems rather unlikely.

0 Likes
joybells1713

Are you telling me there is no way this is a phone setting, but instead several of my apps (by different developers) simultaneously have the same problem? That seems rather unlikely.

0 Likes