When is Verizon going to offer a highend compact Android phone?
CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been looking for a replacement phone for my Droid Razr M for sometime and am becoming more and more frustrated. I realize I am in the minority, but I have to believe I am not the only one who is looking for an up to date phone with a reasonably sized screen, less than 5 inches. I was all excited when I heard about the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, until I saw that it appears to be available for almost every major carrier except Verizon.

I do not want to switch carriers, I have been with Verizon for 25 years. But at the same time I am going to need a new phone at some point in time, the sooner the better. I have two requirements for my next phone: Screen size less than 5 inches and capable of recording 4K video.  Hopefully Verizon can work out a deal with Sony or knows of another brand that will be offering a high end compact phone in the near future. Any assistance will be appreciated. Please don't refer me to Verizon's current line of phones, I have looked at the list exhaustively and there is nothing that comes close to matching my requirements.

Labels (1)
Re: When is Verizon going to offer a highend compact Android phone?
Snn5
Legend

It seems you already know Verizon has nothing to offer you, so you'll need to do some research and find possible CDMA-compatible phones for which you can stay up to date on as far as offerings go.  MWC is right around the corner, so there should be new devices announced.

https://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

0 Likes
CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. I know you're correct, but I can still hope can't I?

Tidbits
Legend

No carrier sells the Z5s. They are actually all unlocked and unbranded sold as is.

The problem is technology. Right now Verizon still relies on CDMA and the Xperia line does not. Often manufacturers do not want to fit the bill for CDMA licensing and testing. They make CDMA carriers fit the bill for it. In the near future(within the next 5 years) Verizon will retire their CDMA network and go full LTE(which is GSM) which makes it easier on selecting phones.

CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Tidbits,

I knew Sony was planning to sell their phones separately, but did not know the details of CDMA vs. GSM.  That being said, if enough customers push for smaller smart phones it may be grounds for Verizon to reach out to Sony. Probably a long shot, but my alternative is to switch networks, my Droid won't last another 5 years.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why should Verizon reach out to them and pay for something you may not be willing to pay for? For example if it costs $100 more due to these differences would you be willing to pay for it.  Most people wouldn't do it and would cost more to Verizon because they'd have to fit the bill initially.

With the sale of compact devices worldwide it is hard for a carrier to even look at them especially if there is an up front cost. The previous compacts didn't sell enough.

Honestly Android will be around after 5 years from now. Look at the iPhone. Go by manufacturers and not by OS Apple is still number one while Samsung is a close number 2. There is no current OS being made that competes in a respectable 3rd. Palm OS gone, Tizen Samsung bought it, BBOS BB switched to Android for their latest flagships, and Ubuntu Touch is still a twinkle with no real development outside developers.

0 Likes
CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have been reading that Verizon is planning to go Full LTE sometime in 2016.  Can someone from Verizon confirm or deny this news? The Sony Xperia Z5 Compact is now available unlocked and I am investigating AT&T and T-Moble plans in my area to see which service I should switch too.  If Verizon is going to be implementing their version of GSM compatible service in the next few months I'll hold out. If not I'm afraid I'll have to end my 25 year relationship with Verizon.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I don't know where you got 2016, but it's a lot further out than that. When you know they are close is when they stop selling devices with CDMA radios active.

0 Likes
elise4
Enthusiast - Level 1

What did you end up doing? I am in exactly the same boat. Still holding on to my glitchy Moto X and waiting for a small Android. I'd rather not switch from Verizon but I'm strongly considering it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should consider the Nexus 5x. It isn't too much bigger than the Moto X 2013 and it will get updates.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes