Why does my LG G Pad 8.3 keep dropping wi-fi?
lpascanik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before i behind...I'm new to posting in forums:

Just want to see if anyone has had problems with wifi connectivity dropping for the LG G Pad 8.3 LTE.  My tablet had been working fine but in the last week or so wifi would randomly drop.  Now it doesn't connect at all...searches for networks, saves, then randomly gives authentication error.  Couple days ago I could reset modem, router and then power on tablet and it would connect for an undetermined time...but now that doesn't even wok.  Other smart devices in my house connect fine.  I called tech support and they want me to try another wifi somewhere to make sure it isn't my home wifi causing the problem.....but again my wifi works for other devices.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG G Pad 8.3 LTE dropping wifi
lpascanik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the input   Yes using WPA2 PSK security.  2.4 GHZ.  (I can only see this connectivity info now that the wifi IS working!)  I just recently solved the problem. Couldn't help but keep thinking that everything was working fine for the past year on the same home Wifi.  I somehow..on accident..just brought up the tablet in Safemode (which I understand only loads the apps that came originally with the tablet.)  Wifi worked fine!  This led me to backtrack. I powered on the tablet back in normal mode and went under Settings and then Application Manager. Looked at "ALL" apps running. Found the one I installed the most recently (RetailMeNot) .  Uninstalled it and now wifi works fine!  Strange! (This was a lot better than having to TRY resetting the whole tablet back to factory settings as Verizon (FIRST) suggested, prior to me turning to this forum.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help .....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
lpascanik,

WiFi is certainly an important function to be able to utilize with your tablet. Let's look further into yours. Did anything change on your tablet before this began: any software updates or new applications downloaded? Is it just WiFi having issues connecting to? How about cell data (4G/3G)?

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lpascanik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for responding!  Cell data / connectivity works fine (4G). The connectivity issue seemed to begin  sporadic at first, but now doesn't connect at all.  Just keeps searching,,,then eventually gives authentication error.  I tried connecting using the wifi at my job site, but still couldn't. The only new app I can think of that my daughter set up over Christmas was the Message+ app so I can follow my cell phone text conversations on my tablet. (This maybe totally off base, but somewhere in these forums I read others with connectivity problems when going from 2.5 GHZ to 5GHZ.  Where would I checked this?)

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lpascanik wrote:

(This maybe totally off base, but somewhere in these forums I read others with connectivity problems when going from 2.5 GHZ to 5GHZ.  Where would I checked this?)

Have you tried rebooting your router at home? 

It appears from the specs that the tablet is capable of using both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands - but can only connect to one.  Is your router at home capable of broadcasting both bands?  Are they both names the same?  That could cause confusion, so each band needs to have a different name.  If your router is not dual band capable, this is a non-issue.  If it IS dual band capable, and both are named the same, then you will see your router listed twice - but you won't know which band you are choosing.  So go into the router settings and change the 5.0 band to something different, add _5 to the end of the name or something to distinguish it from  the 2.4 band.

2.4 GHz broadcasts over a longer distance, but is generally more congested.  If you do have the 5.0 band available, and you are in close range of the router (the same room, or within sight of the router) that's typically a better connection.  Not as many devices are 5.0 capable so the channel is less congested.

0 Likes
lpascanik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the input   Yes using WPA2 PSK security.  2.4 GHZ.  (I can only see this connectivity info now that the wifi IS working!)  I just recently solved the problem. Couldn't help but keep thinking that everything was working fine for the past year on the same home Wifi.  I somehow..on accident..just brought up the tablet in Safemode (which I understand only loads the apps that came originally with the tablet.)  Wifi worked fine!  This led me to backtrack. I powered on the tablet back in normal mode and went under Settings and then Application Manager. Looked at "ALL" apps running. Found the one I installed the most recently (RetailMeNot) .  Uninstalled it and now wifi works fine!  Strange! (This was a lot better than having to TRY resetting the whole tablet back to factory settings as Verizon (FIRST) suggested, prior to me turning to this forum.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help .....

0 Likes