How do I text from an iPad pro to a non-apple device?
Greatgrandma
Enthusiast - Level 2

IM not able to text from my iPad pro to a number that is not an iPhone. I'm able to text from my iPhone ok To any phone.?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to text from my new iPad pro to a cell phone other than iPhone..?
topshelf8
Enthusiast - Level 2
  1. You need iOS 8 or later on your iOS devices and OS X Yosemite or later on your Mac.
  2. Sign in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac.
  3. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and enable the device or devices that you want to forward messages to.
  4. Look for a code on the Mac, iPad, or iPod touch that you enabled. Then enter this verification code on your iPhone.

Device just needs to be connected to a network and presto, you can send and receive any kind of message from any connected Apple device to any device that can receive such messages.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greatgrandma,

Congrats on the new iPad. This is a fantastic device. With iPads they can only iMessage other customers who have an iPhone. This is only available with iMessages. With iPhones you have cellular service. You can send text messages over cellular data.

RobinDD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Greatgrandma
Enthusiast - Level 2

With my old iPad I could text to anyone....not happy.

Sent from my iPad

Greatgrandma
Enthusiast - Level 2

Btw..I think I am paying for cellular service with this iPad....

Sent from my iPad

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greatgrandma,

We want to see you connected up the way you need to be on your iPad. It sounds like you may have had a third party service, like Verizon Messages on your iPad previously. Click the link so you can have more info on this great service that is available free to you http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/verizon-messages/?intcmp=INT-SEA-NON-SE-vz_messages-1015...

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

rcschnoor
Legend

Tablets do not have texting capabilities by default. You have to install some sort of texting app. As was indicated by VZW in a previous post, Verzizon Messages would be such an app which you would then associate with the cellular # of your phone.

Another option, although I have not tried this, would be to ensure that "Send as SMS" was checked in the iMessage settings on your iPad Pro. You would STILL have to have a cellular phone # associated with your Appleid for this to work though, if it is even possible thru the iMessage app on your iPad Pro.

0 Likes
topshelf8
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure these people who have answered your question have ever had anything to do with an Apple device. Here is what you do..

On your iPhone go into >settings  >messages >text message forwarding, as long as you set your iPad pro up with the same apple account you should see your iPad listed there, turn on message forwarding. Now whenever your iPad and iPhone are on the same network you will be able to send and receive all messages right from your new iPad Pro!! I know it works when on the same wi-fi network I am just not sure if it will do the same on the cellular network.

Tags (1)
topshelf8
Enthusiast - Level 2

This answer is not correct. iPad, iPhone, and Mac can share messaging capabilities through messages. I have been doing this since iOS 8.0. There are no additional app’s needed. Devices simply need connected to a network.

topshelf8
Enthusiast - Level 2
  1. You need iOS 8 or later on your iOS devices and OS X Yosemite or later on your Mac.
  2. Sign in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac.
  3. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and enable the device or devices that you want to forward messages to.
  4. Look for a code on the Mac, iPad, or iPod touch that you enabled. Then enter this verification code on your iPhone.

Device just needs to be connected to a network and presto, you can send and receive any kind of message from any connected Apple device to any device that can receive such messages.

Tags (1)
Greatgrandma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did what you said and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your help and it's interesting no one else

could help me. I will uninstall the app I had downloaded. I can't tell you how much you helped...I just knew there had to be an answer out there!

Sent from my iPad