Connectivity issues and inability to make calls or send/receive texts.
Shoegoddess2

As with some of the other customers on this forum, I have been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I have phones in two different zip codes.The one zip code I get pretty fair service and yet since upgrading, I have fewer bars on my new phones. Sometimes I have no service unless I connect to my wifi.  The other phone, located in the 63852 area code, has lots of issues. It isn't the phone.  It's the area.  Verizon has a dead spot in this zip code.  My mom's phone, or any other phone using Verizon, is totally useless in this area. She does not have land line service, and cannot make calls from her Verizon phone.  Internet access is extremely limited and text messages don't always go through either.  I don't want to switch to another carrier, but I also don't want to buy yet another gadget just to get service in her area. Unless something can be done, I'm seriously considering switching carriers when my contract is up. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Connectivity issues and inability to make calls or send/receive texts.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shoegoddess2, we want you to be able to enjoy your device where ever coverage is located! I have taken a look at the area provided and it looks to be properly covered. How long have you been experiencing issues with service in that area? Do you only experience issues when indoors or does it also occur outdoors?

HarleyE_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Shoegoddess2

Within the 63966 zip code area,I started having a few minor connectivity issues when I upgraded to my new phones.  The one phone which is located in the 63852 area also worked in this area pretty well.  But the 63852 area has issues with ANY Verizon phone service.  When my mother spoke with a rep he told her that unfortunately, she was in a dead zone. This is the only phone service she has and needs something better.  Even her doctors know to text her instead of trying to call.  The texting works pretty well but the internet service and the phone service isn't good at all. If she's located in a dead zone, then why doesn't Verizon put in another tower?

0 Likes
Shoegoddess2

The problem occurs both indoors and outdoors....

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It is most likely because that city only has 635 residents as of the last census, and to be able to place infrastructure such as a new cell phone tower could cost $500,000 give or take some, from start to finish for the process depending on the terrain, local laws, resident disputes etc. so they would have to be able to recoup their investment. They prioritize coverage in more populated/travelled areas first, and ensuring there is enough capacity as well.

If you call technical support and have them submit a network ticket they can check the area, and closest towers serving it to ensure they are working as best as possible, and they can advise I there are any future expansion plans or add it to their list of potential expansions.

Short of using a different carrier in her home if there is one that works better there options such as Wifi calling or using a network extender to communicate over the Internet instead of cellular while in the trouble area could be a workaround.

AT&T is the landline carrier there, while its not always the case, often the landline carrier deploys better wireless service in their home area than other carriers.

0 Likes
Shoegoddess2

I find that hard to believe since my location has 2 new towers & we live in an unincorporated town with a very small population. Our nearest town also has a new tower & has a population of around a thousand.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shoegoddess2, I appreciate you providing me with all of these great details. I would love to look a little further into this. What kind of phone are you currently using? How long has this been an issues in the area? Please keep us posted.
KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

If you check out the demographic differences between them you'll probably see why there are still no cell towers in 63852.  Not only is the population higher in 63966, it's also been growing more and faster, and it's located closer to larger towns, cities, more travel routes, and area attractions. The cell service isn't too likely to expand unless the population does first, but that is also seems unlikely as in 63852 the income rates are lower, poverty rates are higher, and less homes and areas have utilities,

Verizon did identify a location to add a tower in Holcomb (63852) in 2008, completed a survey of the area, and submitted an application to the required agencies for the area, but in 2009 they received concerns back from the MO Environmental Protection office that the height of the proposed tower could negatively affect the migration of birds, and also from a local Indian tribe that on some ground dig tests 2 artifacts were found and there could be others. So Verizon dropped the request.

Since that time in 2009, 86 residents left 63852, and there's been 0 new homes built, whereas 63966 has built 33 new homes since 2009. All those factors significantly lower the prioritization of expanding there, as they would get more of a return in their investment, and impact more customers, and hopefully wouldn't run into groups trying to fight against them building a new tower.

0 Likes
Shoegoddess2

So I am paying for a service I am not getting? That doesn't seem fair. Verizon claims to cover the most areas in the nation and yet they cannot cover the bootheel of Missouri? The 63852 area code is not the only area in the bootheel with these problems.  It also covers the 63857 area code and other surrounding towns. The entire bootheel area!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shoegoddess2,

I know how important it is to have a consistant connection. As a consumer you want a service that works especially when you have paid for it. Just to clarify, are there others in the area having the same problems? What kind of phones do you have?
JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes