what are miscellaneous files
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

What are misc files and how do I know what files are okay to delete? I was updating apps a day or so ago and it said I couldn't update quite a few of my apps because I've ran out of space... so I got to deleting pictures videos call log messages and clearing cache data and wondered into misc and noticed that it's taking up a lot of space..I deleted some of the things that I definitely did not need but there's still a bunch on there..

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: what are miscellaneous files
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to have to go through a factory reset if not necessary, Somewhat.knowledgeable. I know you mentioned deleting pictures and videos, but did you also uninstall unwanted apps? I would recommend going to your apps and selecting Downloads. From here, you will be able to see any files that may have been saved to your phone after downloading PDfs through websites or emails.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Look no further help has arrived. Clearing up space on the phone will definitely help with the update. What phone do you have? Miscellaneous files include apps and other files saved on the phone.

JohnB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

The galaxy s4

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Somewhat.knowledgeable,
We are going to work together to make more space on our S4. Our next step will be to clear out your S4 Clear Cache Partition.  Follow these steps to complete and keep us posted. Please power off your phone. Then press and hold the Volume Up Keys, Home Keys and Power Keys. Press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to scroll through the options that are listed. Select the one labeled Wipe cache partition and then press the power button. Look to the bottom of the screen and in yellow text you should see the message Cache wipe complete.

YareliM_VZW

0 Likes
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I pressed all three keys and it starting saying something about recovery booting I let go cuz I don't want my phone doing a factory data reset...

0 Likes
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay update: it will start up with recovery booting but then nothing until I lift my fingers than it just turns back on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to have to go through a factory reset if not necessary, Somewhat.knowledgeable. I know you mentioned deleting pictures and videos, but did you also uninstall unwanted apps? I would recommend going to your apps and selecting Downloads. From here, you will be able to see any files that may have been saved to your phone after downloading PDfs through websites or emails.

AndreaS_VZW

0 Likes
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I only had one thing in there and I deleted it just now.

0 Likes
Somewhat_knowledgeabl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I delete the folders in misc. Files that don't have anything in them? I went to storage and pressed miscellaneous files and all I see when I look in a lot of folders I don't see anything it there.. almost like the folders are the only things taking up the space... thanks a bunch by the way 🙂

0 Likes