How do I update carrier settings?
jeff6times7
Enthusiast - Level 1

After upgrading my iphone 5s from ios 9.0.2 to 9.1 I see there is no cell service. I power off the iphone and restart it. Then, I look at the mac it's connected to and see that it wants to download and update the carrier settings. I tell it to proceed but the phone is still in the middle of rebooting. The carrier settings update fails and now when I tell to update the software it says there's no update available. How do I fix this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 5s upgrade ios from 9.0.2 to 9.1 but get only one opportunity to update carrier settings
jeff6times7
Enthusiast - Level 1

The verizon chat rep walked me through getting the iphone to enter recovery mode and reinstall 9.1. Once that was completed, the iphone prompted me to update the carrier settings.

1. reset network settings. This might not have been necessary but all think i have to re-enter are wi-fi passwords.

2. connect to a wi-fi access point. That might not have been necessary.

3. power down phone

4. shutdown itunes

5. disconnect usb cable

6. start itunes

7. plug in usb cable to mac

8. hold down home key of the iphone

9. plug in usb cable to iphone

10. release home key

11. click [Update] button on dialog on mac that says the phone needs to be restored or updated

12. click [Update] on the next mac dialog

13. answer affirmative to iphone dialog asking to update carrier settings

At this point the phone changes states 3 times. It recognizes a cell network, then it stops recognizing it, then it recognizes it again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: iphone 5s upgrade ios from 9.0.2 to 9.1 but get only one opportunity to update carrier settings
jeff6times7
Enthusiast - Level 1

The verizon chat rep walked me through getting the iphone to enter recovery mode and reinstall 9.1. Once that was completed, the iphone prompted me to update the carrier settings.

1. reset network settings. This might not have been necessary but all think i have to re-enter are wi-fi passwords.

2. connect to a wi-fi access point. That might not have been necessary.

3. power down phone

4. shutdown itunes

5. disconnect usb cable

6. start itunes

7. plug in usb cable to mac

8. hold down home key of the iphone

9. plug in usb cable to iphone

10. release home key

11. click [Update] button on dialog on mac that says the phone needs to be restored or updated

12. click [Update] on the next mac dialog

13. answer affirmative to iphone dialog asking to update carrier settings

At this point the phone changes states 3 times. It recognizes a cell network, then it stops recognizing it, then it recognizes it again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Keeping you connected is our top priority, jeff6times7. We’re here to help. How is your phone holding onto service since completing recovery mode and carrier settings update?

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes