wifi calling is here - sort of
Weth
Legend

The new Message+ app lets you do calls over wifi using your cellular number!  I just tried it and it works.  Not fully integrated as you have to go through the app, but it should be an interim step for those that have been waiting.  Give it a go and give a report! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: wifi calling is here - sort of
Snn5
Legend

I cannot seem to do the same with my LG G2 Android.  To test this I turned on airplane mode and turned on wifi, since otherwise the call would be made over the network.  How have you set this up?  I know you are probably using an iPhone, so there may be a stipulation since the iPhone 6S (if that's what you are using) allows for wifi calling now.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes, on iPhone 6 Plus. Downloaded message +.  Had to set up e911 info. I then turned on airplane mode, turned on wifi only.  With app open, able to make wifi calls with caller ID on the other phone showing my Verizon number.  I was also able to receive a call with the app open in the background While on wifi only. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I'm seeing on another forum you must have a device that supports advanced (VoLTE) calling and have advanced calling feature on your account.  I don't know that is true since I can't test that right now. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Maybe Verizon finally got the OK or they pulled we don't give a moment and just released it over waiting for the FCC.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OK, yeah....won't work on Prepaid then.  Prepaid does not allow AC.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I think by having it in an app the FCC rule doesn't apply.  I see it as an interim step until they get the exception from the FCC.

I have been playing with it. Works great.  I just went to a spot that has o signal and could never make or receive calls.  Now it works over wifi in that area.  If I have cell signal, my regular phone rings.  If I don't have cell signal the app rings with the call. 

I wonder of they will allow calls from overseas while on wifi at domestic rates? 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Wonder if this is an unspoken beta-update-type feature of the app.  Might be you found an Easter egg.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Additional info per terms and conditions:

1) must have advanced calling

2) uses cellular data, not voice minutes, if your wifi connection is lost

3) can be used on up to 5 devices using your phone number

4) call to US when international are treated as domestic call while on wifi

5) calls to any foreign country will be billed as long distance as if you were calling from the US with your current international plan

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

So, Google Voice is still the best option for most people at this point sounds like.  (For me anyway.)