Feedback re: Customer Service at Vancouver Plaza store. {Vancouver WA}
Mc2015
Enthusiast - Level 1

To Whom It May Concern,

This summer I visited the Verizon Wireless store at {7809B Vancouver Plaza Drive Suite 170, Vancouver WA. 98662.} I went to the store to purchase my husband a new cell phone (line ending in 3092). I ended up choosing the Samsung S5. I intended to cash out this phone and had zero intention of increasing my monthly bill.
Sales associate Evan, a very nice man, rang up my order - went to the back room and brought out 4 Verizon tablets. He enthusiastically said that for no additional monies I can "have" these 4 tablets. I was adamant about not adding additional fees and raising my bill. By putting my husband’s new Samsung on the payment plan - and with credits and data plans.... blah blah - in the end, it would be NO ADDITIONAL cost to my account.
At this point, even though I wouldn't be able to re-explain the deal (lots of dealing and promos and as a consumer, I don't have the insiders lingo) I decided to trust Evan and I asked about a 5th tablet. I was told that the 5th tablet would be an additional $10 per month.

I very rarely make decisions on the spot but this day I did. I trusted Evan. Smiley eyes and great customer service, it seemed to all make sense.

The next month, my billed more than doubled and I was very upset! I went to speak with Evan about the huge increase in my bill and to express my frustration with feeling scammed. (Late May/ Early June)

After some investigation, it appeared that because I turned on a non-activated Verizon phone that we have at our home (to see if it worked or was DOA) it somehow invalidated the special promotion that I received.  It was said the store could no longer offer me the monthly discount; however the store manager (whom it was implied was NOT HAPPY) would honor the "Compass Offer" that didn't stick in a lump sum. I told him I didn't want the lump sum but wanted the monthly discount, as I didn't want my bill to raise in price. This was not possible, only the lump sum credit was available. I felt suspicious and admittedly irritated by the exchange. I verbally confirmed, "I will receive the "Compass Offer" in a lump credit for the two years?" Sales associate Evan confirmed, and I asked him to write it out that I would receive a credit.

That afternoon, I was alerted by email of account activity to my account of an email change. I immediately logged in, as I had not changed it. Then I received another notification that my data plan was changed. .... also which I had neither authorized or changed. I called the store manager (see above location), Matt Austin and asked him what the heck was going on?! We proceeded to have a conversation where he denied making changes to my account and was crediting me for a years fees for the "Compass Deal." When I questioned the years credit, I told him that Evan said the credit would be for the two years. Matt Austin then loudly said, "He DID NOT tell you that!" I asked him if he was calling me a liar. He didn't answer. He was so disrespectful and rude throughout our entire conversation. I told him I was very unhappy with the entire transaction and felt like I had been cheated. I questioned why he was in my account changing my email and data plan without my permission.

I said I wanted to bring all the tablets back into the store - He said he would charge me and that I had to make a decision RIGHT NOW, or he would not honor the credit.

I felt so disheartened and shocked.  I was just called a liar and was spoken to so rudely by Mr. Matt Austin, a Verizon representative. Verizon a company that I had previously spent on average around $220 a month.

I called Verizon.com and spoke with Verizon rep Dion, who confirmed that someone had changed my email to no@no.com, and my data plan was changed. I shared with him my experience and frustration. He confirmed that something "weird was going on" and that he was seeing it on his end as well. Rep Dion did take the time to explain that while Sales Rep Evan might have said two years reimbursement in a moment of confusion, the actual promotion was indeed only for a year. I want to thank this rep for taking the time to explain this to me. When  I asked to speak to management about my experience- he said, unfortunately, Verizon.com would not be able to help me and that I should attempt to contact Matt Austins regional manager. I told him I did not want to speak to the store any longer and could he tell me whom to contact. Rep. Dion said that he didn't have that information, but he'd call me the next day with the information.

Dion never called.

It's been a few months and I am writing to let you know I can't shake the terrible feeling this experience left me with. I have been with Verizon for almost the entirety of my marriage, 18 years. We were only with a competitor for a brief time when we moved to an area not serviced by Verizon.  I have been a brand ambassador for Verizon for many, many years - gladly sharing with and converting friends with stories of awesome cell reception and customer service. I think it is because I was so sold on Verizon, hook, line and sinker that the above experience was so shocking.

I was called a liar.

The negative interaction was so quickly propelled by Mr. Matt Austin and his unrighteous anger.

Someone went in and changed my email and data plan without my permission.

As for the billing ...I don't understand why and it is probably something I did - but the bill that wasn't supposed to go up more than $10 per month is now a consistent $40 more a month.  I might be confused about some things but I know with certainty - when I walked into that store I said over and over again, I do not want my monthly bill to go up.

Lucky me, it's a monthly reminder of the entire horrible experience.

I cannot think about Verizon, pay my monthly bill or watch commercials without feeling totally sick to my stomach and disheartened. I have gone from feeling like Verizon is a great company to feeling like they are no better than the huge cable company that is notorious for horrible customer service.  I feel like Verizon, represented by Mr. Matt Austin is shady and unethical. I don't think I have ever experienced such horrible customer service.

I am hoping that by writing to you I can let go of being upset and I want you to know about my experience.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Feedback re: Customer Service at Vancouver Plaza store. {Vancouver WA}
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Mc2015!

I'm so sorry to learn of any poor experience in one of our store locations. You should always be given all of the facts. After reading your post, and I definitely don'e want to assume anything), but we did have a promotion that would give you a free tablet with the purchase/upgrade of a smartphone. However, the tablets did come with an agreement, albeit they didn't come  with an out of pocket cost in the store. This is the reason that  your bill is higher. Has the store rep (and manager) taken care of tis for you? Please let me know the current status of this situation.

Thank You,

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mc2015
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dear Miss ChristinaB,

One tablet per smartphone purchase? Or 4 tablets for one smartphone purchase? and why would Evan tell me multiple times my monthly bill would ONLY go up $10 per month?

Has the store rep/manager taken care of this for me?

Mr. Matt Austin credited my account for promotions missed for the year. I believe that was in the April May billing cycle. Can you access my account?

However, there has been no resolution for the unauthorized account access, Verizon email change, data plan change and the horrible experience. If you have access to my account, you should be able to see notes from the representative Dion, who noted the odd account activity that he witnessed. There has been a violation of trust that has not been addressed.

0 Likes
Mc2015
Enthusiast - Level 1

....ummmm....helllllooooo?

0 Likes