Upgrade program
Mkstretch14
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK so I'm due for an upgrade in sept 2016.  this is my 2 year contract end I suppose.  How will that work since Verizon changed the upgrade program? 

I Was offered and early upgrade yesterday but if I wait for my upgrade anniversary will I get and iPhone at the discounted price of $199?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade program
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mkstretch14-

Those are great questions. Please send me message so I can review your upgrade options.

DaisyP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mkstretch14
Enthusiast - Level 1

I Tried to send you a message but it says we have to be connected

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to send a follow request to and they have to accept it before you can send them a Direct Message.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Mkstretch14
Enthusiast - Level 1

I Sent a follow request.  Still no approval.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, it is the weekend. They might not be working.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SkyHag
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for asking this cause I am wondering the same thing.  My contract ends in December 2015 but was just offered an early upgrade.  Trying to figure out if its cheaper to wait.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Early Upgrades usually require that you turn in your current (contract) phone on that line. The phone has to be in good working condition. Does that describe your phone?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Wait until your contract is over. ALWAYS WAIT. Then you can do whatever make financial sense at the time.

When there are more contracts and everyone will be forced to buy full retail/DPP then nobody will be in such a hurry to upgrade.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is always cheaper to wait. Early upgrade is never made for a good financial decision but only to get new things and end up paying more to do so.

Just because you can get a phone at a discounted price does not mean that is the best deal either. Remember if you get another contract, you are going to pay $20 more per month for access fees, which actually ends up costing more. You must also add in the $40 upgrade fee.

Generally speaking, the smartest move is to hold onto your current phone as long as you can, when you do upgrade, upgrade with the new device payment plans, and again hold onto that phone as long as you can.

If you hold on to your current phone when your contract is done, and you switch to the My Verizon plan 3GB medium plan, your monthly cell fees for 1 phone will be only $65 per month. If you use a contract upgrade, you will be in a plan at $85/month for 2 years, plus the cost of the phone and $40 upgrade fee. If you do the device payment plan, you will be about $85/month again, but no upfront costs and no upgrade fee.