Keeping unlimited data plan by buying phone outright?
walshbm15
Enthusiast - Level 1

So didn't want to post this here, but Verizon doesn't have a customer service email I could find easily, so maybe I can get some help on here.

So I have a few questions:

1) First of all I am looking to get a new phone. Google just announced their new Nexus devices earlier this week and this would be my top choice. I know these Nexus devices will support Verizon's radio's so theoretically I should have no problem using either on their network. I guess my only concern is, will I be able to just pop my sim card in go as soon as it shows up at my door, or will Verizon have to do further testing before they can conclude that this phone will do no harm to their network and will allow people to use it. (Say maybe an extra few weeks or so, sometime in November maybe?)

2) Secondly, I am on a family plan but each line on the plan has their own threshold for data. My line specifically I still have unlimited data. I would like to buy next phone outright (no contract), and just use it on the network under the current number I already have. If I do this, this should not effect my current data situation correct??? Also it should not effect any other family member on the current plan? Lastly but related, since it is confusing the direction you are trying to force people to go down, if another family member on the line decides to upgrade their phone down the line, this should still not effect anyone else on my family plan since everyone has their own data plan etc.. correct?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Keeping unlimited data plan by buying phone outright?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can buy your phone at full retail in one lump sum and it will not affect your unlimited data plan. I do this and have done so for the last few years.

If your other lines are on their own separate account you will be fine. Changes made on one line will not affect the others.  (example, I have two separate lines that have an account number that only the last digit is different. Both lines have their own data plan and service plan so any changes made on one account does not affect the other).

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

walshbm15,

Having a data plan that fits into your needs is what you strive to have for all of our customers. While I wouldn't be able to speak to the new Nexus devices, I can confirm that if you buy a phone outright, it will not change your data plan. The only thing that would change is if someone on your plan makes a change to the plan entirely, then your data plan would change. But as of now, you can keep your current plan.

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can buy your phone at full retail in one lump sum and it will not affect your unlimited data plan. I do this and have done so for the last few years.

If your other lines are on their own separate account you will be fine. Changes made on one line will not affect the others.  (example, I have two separate lines that have an account number that only the last digit is different. Both lines have their own data plan and service plan so any changes made on one account does not affect the other).

walshbm15
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, this is helpful.

0 Likes