Unexplained Data Overages and Charges
gjohns
Enthusiast - Level 1

II've just returned from the Verizon store where the customer service reps tried to convince me that the data overage is caused by the rarely watched, less than 15 second videos from facebook!  We do not have the videos playing in the background and we have never experienced this Verizon isdue as other customers have,  We have been a verizon customer for more than 10 years, no changed habits, phones are not new (couple years old), and no problems. 

However, in June/July billing cycle, we went from the average 3gb per month usage with a 6gb plan to 19gb, 31gb, and more!  You can look back at the bills and see exactly when it spiked.  What happened?!

THis is is ridiculous. I see a lot of discussions on here about data overage Verizon, yet, no action seems to be being taken by company.

there is absolutely no way that 31gb of data was used.  One phone has text capability but does not receive texts/photos, etc. (Blocked).

When your customer service was contacted, the only thing they would allow was to upgrade to a new dataplan and pay the overage charges, 

we did that for 2-3 months now, updated to a higher dataplan and still overages.  More than $500 each month. 

WE LOVE our Verizon, but it seems you no longer need us as a customer as we cannot continue to pay $500+ monthly bills.  Our expectation of Verizon, because of the standup service we've had in the past and the excellent company that you are, is that you'll figure out why you're overcharging your customers, let us know what the glitch is, fix it, and continue to provide that great coverage.

BY the way, my husband had surgery and our phones were not used for three days; guess what? We were charged for data during that time frame.  We have intentionally performed tests, by using only wifi the last couple days and still the data is creeping up... my sisterinlaw was planning to switch to Verizon but unfortunately experienced the ridiculous explanation of what caused the data usage.  She has 6gb on ATT and never goes over - she works from her iPad and hotspot. 

WE never turn our hotspot on.

what can you do to help? Is my phone hacked? it didn't appear to be.  Yes, we close all the apps.  Thanks for your support.  You may contact me at GidgetsOrganizer@gmail.com.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unexplained Data Overages and Charges
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the kind words & all your years of loyalty. Lets work together & get to the bottom of this. To see a data increase that dramatically would have me concerned as well. The forum folks have excellent suggestions to check in the data usage screen on your devices to see where this usage is coming from. What kind of phone do you have? Have you checked the data utilization tool in My Verizon http://spr.ly/6587BJVkR ?
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

You should really take a look at the apps that use data by looking into your mobile data usage screen on the phone.  What type of phone are you using?  Apple, Android, other?

mama23dogs
Legend

Please look in settings in each phone on your plan, then data usage, scroll down to the list of apps and note how much is used by each application..

What applications are showing high use?

on an android phone it will look like this:

image.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the kind words & all your years of loyalty. Lets work together & get to the bottom of this. To see a data increase that dramatically would have me concerned as well. The forum folks have excellent suggestions to check in the data usage screen on your devices to see where this usage is coming from. What kind of phone do you have? Have you checked the data utilization tool in My Verizon http://spr.ly/6587BJVkR ?
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

ernchene
Enthusiast - Level 1

My data has been ridiculously over limit for the 2nd time. I'm not paying for the overage. There's no way I used almost 10gb's by myself. I never have anger something USD wrong with the phone or something. I repeat I won't pay the $90 overage

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

HOW AND WHEN CAN I DISPUTE CHARGES?

If you're a Postpay customer, you can dispute your bill within 180 days of receiving it, but unless otherwise provided by law or unless you're disputing charges because your wireless device was lost or stolen, you still have to pay all charges until the dispute is resolved. If you're a Prepaid customer, you can dispute a charge within 180 days of the date the disputed charge was incurred.

Check that paper you signed when you signed up for service.

0 Likes
ernchene
Enthusiast - Level 1

Obviously I am not the only one with this issue. I've checked all ur blogs on this issue and also independent blogs from other websites about Verizon data overage that is unexplained. Now instead of you giving us [removed] answers I want you to somewhere explain why this is happening because I know all the blogs there is no explanation but a [removed], beat around the bush answer! tired of this crap.. you guys have been [removed] us for too long! Big company verse the little guy just trying to make it by every week, day, month... there's too many greedy companies out there taking our money the last we need is our cell phone, which we have, most of us been loyal Verizon customers for years the last thing we need is for you to start taken from us! I hope you're happy there is no more middle class thanks to this [removed]

Profanity removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There are many ways you can use 10 GB and not know it. Just saying you did not use it is really meaningless. Your phone has the capability to independently track data usage by the app. Before declaring the possible is impossible, you should make sure you are not using it with the tools at hand.

Not paying your bill will just result in late fees, reports to credit bureaus, in ability to get upgrades, service cut off etc etc.

As noted by Snn5, the process to dispute a charge has to be done in writing and by mail. Until the dispute is settled, you are responsible for all charges, per the agreement you signed when you started service.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Ahhhh. Yes the phone does track the data usage but if you don't go in and change your billing cycle date in the settings the information may not be correct.

BarbOneil58

I just received my bill for December 2015, and had an $885 data overcharge for one 24-hour period, from December 11-12. Over 50gbs in 24 hours which is 297 hours of cat videos, 278 hours of Skype, 62 episodes of Breaking Bad, etc…It's not possible, yet Verizon insists I pay it.

0 Likes