Constant signal degrading in Columbia, SC
cea1995

For the last month, signal has degraded to the point of making calls or using data on smartphones in downtown Columbia, SC is nearly impossible.  I work for a company with a Verizon account. Nearly all of us are experiencing this degrading of service.  The service does not improve until we get outside of the city limits.  The signal strength stays around -113 dBm.  All of our phones are basically unusable while we are at work.  Seriously considering changing our contracts.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Constant signal degrading in Columbia, SC
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cea1995,

Our goal is to provide you the service you deserve, it would sadden us to see you go. We want all of you to be able to rely on your phones for constant communication. Our maps indiciate you are in a good coverage area.  Are you having issues in a specific location? Can you please provide area zip code to take a closer look.

Here to help.

YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cea1995

I am aware your map is showing that we have a good coverage area, but the reality is totally different.  This is in the downtown Columbia area, near the South Carolina State House and the University of South Carolina.  This is occurring inside and outside buildings.  The zip code for this area is 29202.  This could be due to the influx of 15,000-20,000 college students being back in town.  If so, Verizon should be able to compensate to handle the increase in usage in the area.

0 Likes
cea1995

Interesting.  I never marked this answer as "correct" but it shows as "correct".  I guess you don't really want to help your customers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that zip code cea1995. I've checked the area and have not found any issues or trouble tickets filed with our technical support team in the last 6 months for that zip code that includes students, faculty and staff of that nearby University. Since this is occurring primarily at your place or work, I'd definitely recommend having them look into our Network Extender for Business as seen here:  http://spr.ly/6585BJZtR; Please also ensure that no changes have incurred in and around the business (new construction, transformers, etc.) that may be causing interference with RF signal as the issue may be resolved simply by removing the source of that interference.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cea1995

If you fully read the entire message chain you would see that this is happening inside and OUTSIDE buildings.  The signal status is consistently around -110dbM.  Regardless of what the coverage map shows.  This coincided with the return of the University of South Carolina students this semester.  So no it isn't an issue with my place of work as the signal is still terrible outside of the building and when you are on the streets of Columbia.  As of Satuday, 9/12/15, a call was placed to Verizon concerning it and it was upgraded to Tier II technical support.  The technician on the phone agreed that it was not an issue with an isolated building since it was happening on the streets, out in the open.  Also they agreed it was a signal issue since multiple people are having the same issue inside and outside the buildings. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cea1995 - glad to hear the appropriate call was made to our technical staff to investigate this issue further. Do you happen to have the ticket number so we can see what were the findings of our network performance team?

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RonJ63

Yeah I know what you mean I had a great signal January 2014 when I switched to Verizon, 3 & 4 bars 4G LTE. Since February this year the signal has progressively gotten worse I can't even get 1 bar or a 1G signal and I get no signal at all. Called customer service and it seams like all I'm getting is the run around. AT&T doesn't work where I live nor does T-Mobile or Sprint that's why I got Verizon. Now it doesn't work so I have no cell service at home I have to drive a mile down the road just to get a signal. Customer service said they can't support getting me a booster. I can't get high speed internet here either. The part I don't understand is how I can go from a really decent signal to nothing. Customer service is no help at all. so I am stuck with nothing. Here it is 2016 and all this technology and they can't fix this problem.

0 Likes
RonJ63

Forgot to mention I live in Laurel hill NC zip code 28351

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is troubling to hear about the experience you have had, RonJ63 and it would be my pleasure to continue helping. It is important to us we take a closer look at your phone and coverage area to find a solution.

What is the make/model of your device? Are you having with texts or data? Does the phone have the most recent software? Please provide a few additional details and we will be sure to continue working on this for you.
SteveR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes