Is there any way keep my existing plan and get a new phone with out paying full price upfront?
Sdjohnson1313

My current phone is having a lot of issues and I need to get a new one, however I do not have $700 to buy a new one.  Is there any way to get one on a payment plan without losing my existing plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there any way keep my existing plan and get a new phone with out paying full price upfront?
Snn5
Legend

If you opt for a new device via DPP, you will lose your current plan.  You also must be out of contract to do so.  Buying full retail or used is your only real option I believe.  You could theoretically begin a new line of service, but that defeats the purpose of saving money.  Your best bet is to buy a used phone, compatible with Verizon of course, from Glyde, Gazelle, Swappa, etc....  Or, you could borrow a working unit from a friend or relative until you can either afford a new phone, afford payments, or upgrade with a new contract.  (only current and out of contract customers can sign up for a contract anymore)  You might also tell us what plan you currently have and maybe a new plan is a better option.

Re: Is there any way keep my existing plan and get a new phone with out paying full price upfront?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, what is your existing plan? More Everything? Nationwide Plan? With or without unlimited data plan? What your plan is will guide the community members to what possible options are available to you.

Second, you don't have to pay $700 for a new phone at full retail price. There are some perfectly reasonable phones for less than $500 or lower.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Sdjohnson1313

I currently have 450 anytime minutes unlimited mobile to any mobile. Unlimited data and unlimited messaging for around $80 a month.  I average 16GB of data a month so I can't lose the unlimited data. I could afford payments on a phone I just don't have the lump sum right now.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

NO choice, you must buy a phone at full price or buy a used phone.  No payment plan or subsidy through Verizon to jeep your unlimited data plan. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, the full retail price (in one lump sum)  or a used phone from a third party site like Swappa or Ebay are the OP's options to keep the unlimited data plan on their line. Purchasing under the Device Payment Plan (DPP formerly known as Edge payment option) is not an option.

They could also borrow a phone from a family member or a friend if someone has one the OP could borrow.

FYI the DROID Turbo is $480 retail price plus taxes. The Moto X 2014 starts at $449.99. Both are great phones. There are some lower price devices like the HTC Desire 626 for under $200 with decent but not exceptional specifications.  http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/htc-desire-626/

Now if they are dead set on the overpriced phones like Samsung or Apple the price starts at $549.99 for the smaller storage capacity devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes