'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently added the Advanced Calling 1.0 feature to both my S5 & my wife's S5 (I wanted to wait a while after the initial release late last year - just to let the kinks get worked out a bit), but it looks like we're experiencing a bit of a problem when it comes to making video calls from our own home, while on our wi-fi network...

As an aside (just in case there are questions), we have solid 3-4 bars of 4G LTE signal in our home & can make HD Voice calls without issue.  Additionally, I am utilizing an ASUS RT-AC66U router that gives us effectively full coverage over all floors in our home (it's located centrally within the house).  Our ISP is Verizon FiOS & we subscribe to the 50Mbps/50Mbps plan (our actual speeds are closer to 58/63), so there's more than enough behind it.

We performed several video test calls (each a few minutes in duration) while connected to wi-fi & neither of us noticed any icon/indicator to tell us that the video 'portion' of the call was taking place on wi-fi, as specified in the Advanced Calling FAQ (see #4 below):

Untitled.png

In addition to there not being any icon/indicator as specified above, the wi-fi indicator in the Android system tray at the top of the screen didn't show any activity, while the 4G LTE indicator showed constant upload/download activity.

After ending the calls, I checked our mobile data usage on the phone & it showed 15-20MB for 'Video Call' under the Mobile data section & when I checked the Wi-Fi data section for 'Video Call' it said 0.00B (nada, zero, zilch), so it appears that the calls didn't get "handed off" to Wi-Fi as specified in the FAQ (see #3 above).  I waited until the next day & then logged into my account online to view our Data usage... sure enough, Verizon's site showed chunks of mobile data being used at that same time as the calls, all while we were on Wi-Fi.

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue?  Do you see any indicators on your screen while performing a video call from the S5?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the midst of testing for the past week, I was performing phone reboots on a daily basis (as I normally do whenever I plug it in for the evening), thinking that reboots might correct whatever the issue was, as is sometimes the case, all with no effect.

I then tried going into the settings to turn off Advanced Calling, rebooting, turning Advanced Calling back on, rebooting, making test video calls... after several Advanced Calling on/off cycles, our phones now appear to be handing off the video call to Wi-Fi correctly!  I'm not sure why the setting needed to be cycled several times, but at least it now works correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
50thAnnivZ06Corvette We're sorry to hear you are havign issues with video calling. Are you only experiencing problems when trying to switch over to wifi? Have you tried video calls with anyother devices?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response, SheritaH_VZW.

Are you only experiencing problems when trying to switch over to wifi?

Yes, I guess that's one way to put it.  The essence of my problem would be that the video calls work as expected, except for the fact that they do not hand off from mobile data to wi-fi as stated in the Verizon Wireless Advanced Calling FAQ (i.e. Video calls pull from my mobile data allotment for the video 'portion' of the call, even when I'm connected to my home wi-fi network).

Have you tried video calls with anyother devices?

Unfortunately, no.  Of the three lines we have on our plan, our Galaxy S5s are the only two 'Advanced Calling 1.0' compatible devices.  Additionally, to the best of our knowledge, none of our other contacts are Verizon Wireless customers with compatible devices that have activated this feature. (i.e. we have many contacts that are Verizon Wireless customers, but they either don't have a compatible phone -or- they haven't activated this feature)

0 Likes
Re: Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No worries 50thAnnivZ06Corvette. We will continue to work on this so we can hand off the signal to your WiFi network. Have you tried connecting to other WiFi networks to see if the hand-off happens? Is your software up to date on your device? Just to clarify, this has always been an issue and had never hand-off like it should correct?
JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply, JorgeO_VZW.

Have you tried connecting to other WiFi networks to see if the hand-off happens?

Unfortunately, no - our home network is currently the only Wi-Fi network we have access to.  With that said, I honestly wouldn't think that there would be any issue with our home network, seeing as every other device we have on the network works appropriately, up to and including our S5s working as expected for all other purposes when on Wi-Fi, too (other than this specific hand-off issue).

Is your software up to date on your device?

Yes.  Below you will find a screenshot of my device's baseband, kernel version, & build number.  My wife's S5 mirrors mine.

Screenshot_2015-08-28-15-01-44.png

Just to clarify, this has always been an issue and had never hand-off like it should correct?

Yes.  I have only recently added/upgraded to the Advanced Calling 1.0 service/feature.  It was during our tests of the video calling capability that I discovered that our mobile data was being used for the video 'portion' of the call instead of Wi-Fi, as specified in the FAQ.  So, in other words, it didn't hand off from the first test onward.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the midst of testing for the past week, I was performing phone reboots on a daily basis (as I normally do whenever I plug it in for the evening), thinking that reboots might correct whatever the issue was, as is sometimes the case, all with no effect.

I then tried going into the settings to turn off Advanced Calling, rebooting, turning Advanced Calling back on, rebooting, making test video calls... after several Advanced Calling on/off cycles, our phones now appear to be handing off the video call to Wi-Fi correctly!  I'm not sure why the setting needed to be cycled several times, but at least it now works correctly.

0 Likes
Re: 'Advanced calling 1.0' video calls using mobile data and *not* handing off to wi-fi?
dugguh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Droid Maxx and Droid Turbo doing the same thing. No issue using 3rd party video calls on my WiFi network. Just VERIZON video calls eating my data.

0 Likes
50thAnnivZ06Corvette
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just saw your other thread about this problem, too.  I wasn't getting any error messages (as mentioned in your other thread) when it failed to hand-off, it was just continuing like normal over my mobile data connection without any type of notification/error, so I wasn't experiencing the *exact* same set of circumstances as you...

I'm sure you may have tried this already, but this is what worked for me:

• Go into your settings & turn advanced calling off altogether.  Reboot the phone & wait until it's fully booted again before proceeding.
  • Go back into settings & turn advanced calling back on.  Reboot the phone yet again & wait until it's fully booted again before proceeding.
  • Try making a test video call.  If it doesn't hand off, repeat the process again. (I know that doesn't seem like much of a solution, but that's how it ended up working for me on my S5)

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
dugguh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read your thread and am trying that as I don't care so much about the data. If it persists it will be disabled until they release an update. VZW has a rep for clunkware. I like the HD voice quality with other VZW contacts, so hopefully they'll get it working good. The HD video quality dropped from original quality too.

0 Likes