Damaged phone being replaced - bulk offload of data?
CuFrogg

I damaged my S III mini touchscreen (unusable) - but the phone proper still works.

Asurion insurance is now sending a replacement phone.

Is there a way to bulk offload data and apps from the old phone without use of touchscreen ...

1. ... to the new phone?

2. ... over WiFi to stand-alone computer?

3. ... to Google Drive?

4. ... other options?

And no, no regular backup was completed from the old phone.

Can a factory re-set be done without the touchscreen so i can wipe the phone of my content before returning to Asurion?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

0 Likes
Re: Damaged phone being replaced - bulk offload of data?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you can't use the touchscreen I would plug the device into your computer to see what information you can get off of it.

If you can see whats on the screen you can try to perform a factory reset as you usually use the volume key and power button to initiate it and also to make your selections. The touchscreen isn't needed.

0 Likes
CuFrogg

Touchscreen is totally gone - not viewable or 'touch-able'.

I get the audio of power-on, notifications, alerts, etc. - and the led flashes from same - but the screen and its interactivity is totally gone.

Can I fumble through a factory reset without viewing selections?

Thanks.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Certainly. I will try and find out how many clicks it is on the S5 I have and you can mimic those and see if it works. You could also maybe find a youtube video. Then just follow the clicks by counting.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

How to do it

1. Turn the phone off. If you can't, remove and reinstall the battery.
  2. With the phone still off, hold down the 'Power', 'Volume Up' and 'Menu' buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds. ...

Click the volume down button 4 times

click the power button once

click down 7 times

click the power button once

The only bit that might be different is the 7 clicks down. The screen does this so you don't accidentally select yes, this is what it looks like:

no

no

no

no

no

no

yes- delete all user data

no

no

no

you may have to try it out numerous times before you are able to select yes as I'm not sure if the position of it changes.

just to test it again, I powered off and tried it again and "Yes" remained in spot number 7 so hopefully if you try spot 7 and it doesn't work you can just go through the motions of trying from spot 1 and up.

0 Likes
CuFrogg

This is probably difficult to answer without doing a factory reset on your S5, but ...

Is the phone going to give me any audible response that a factory reset is complete?

I'm not trying to be paranoid about content - just security conscious of financials, etc.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I believe it does load after it's been done. I just did one a few weeks ago. I think it's silent for about 3-5 minutes and then loads.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkMcOGnAtw

Jump to about minute 4:00

It looks like factory reset is just 3 clicks down.

It also looks like you have to press the power button once more after the 7 clicks down, but first wait a few minutes for the factory reset to complete.

0 Likes