I am not able to delete any of my text messages. If I do delete them, my phone will freeze up and all my messages will disappear until I restart my phone. Once I restart my phone all the messages I thought I deleted are back. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?? I've tried going through blogs and doing what they suggest but nothing seems to be working. Thanks in advance!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messages
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I assume when you say you're resetting you mean that you are restoring (completely erasing everything and having to set the iPhone back up as if you had just bought it). It may help to try it again although it's not the most fun thing to deal with. Are you out of the manufacturers warranty? (Or AppleCare if you bought it)?  If not, maybe Apple can help troubleshoot the issue. You might want to also try posting your issue in the Apple Support forums on their website. You may find help from others that have experienced the same issues. I have numerous extremely long threads on my iPhone...some going back to 2011 when I got my first iPhone and just kept moving to my new iPhones via backup. I have never had a problem deleting threads like this so I really don't know first hand any fixes. But the Apple Support forums tend to be a great place to get more help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It would help if you included what you have tried.

I experience this problem on my S5 when my threads are too large. What I've done is opened the largest thread, long pressed and then had to individually select messages to delete. Thankfully I selected 30 or so at a time and just deleted them in chunks. I had to do this for about 15 minutes and then finally was able to delete the thread as a whole.

I've also selected to delete the largest thread right before bed and I have no idea how long it goes for, but by morning it's gone. During that time my phone acts like it's frozen, but seems to be all cleared up by morning. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Candykraw,

Not being able to delete text messages is no good. Let's work together on this to figure out what might be going on. What make/model phone do you have? You mentioned that you have tried some steps so far, what have you tried? Please share some additional details so we can assist further.

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Candykraw

I have tried resetting my phone, I have undone the message part in spotlight, I've tried deleting individual ones out of texts and it still freezes and goes blank and then once I restart my phone all messages reappear.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Candykraw,

Hmm that is definitely odd. Are you using the stock messaging application on the device or a third party application? Are you using iMessage? Do you know if you are also using iCloud to back up your device?

AdamG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Candykraw

I believe a stock. What's a third party application? And yes I'm using iMessage and actually changed it to backup on the cloud recently. That was another thing I tried and I still can't delete messages.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate this information, Candykraw. A third party app would be an app you have downloaded through the app store, other than the preinstalled messaging app. You mentioned that your messages appear to be deleted until you restart your phone. Many times, content you've marked to be deleted won't actually delete until you sync with iTunes. Have you been able to first delete messages and then sync with iTunes? http://spr.ly/6580By6XO

AndreaS_VZW

0 Likes
Candykraw

I can't delete any messages at all. Last night I did a reset erasing all content and they are still there. I want to get this problem fixed, I have well over 50 conversations and over 20 of them are from 2013. I need the space and need a new solution.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I assume when you say you're resetting you mean that you are restoring (completely erasing everything and having to set the iPhone back up as if you had just bought it). It may help to try it again although it's not the most fun thing to deal with. Are you out of the manufacturers warranty? (Or AppleCare if you bought it)?  If not, maybe Apple can help troubleshoot the issue. You might want to also try posting your issue in the Apple Support forums on their website. You may find help from others that have experienced the same issues. I have numerous extremely long threads on my iPhone...some going back to 2011 when I got my first iPhone and just kept moving to my new iPhones via backup. I have never had a problem deleting threads like this so I really don't know first hand any fixes. But the Apple Support forums tend to be a great place to get more help.

0 Likes
Candykraw

I've looked at forums with the same problem and they make it sound like Apple is telling them to just deal with the problem and there is no fix. I'm hoping maybe when a new IOS comes out and I update and maybe do another reset this will help.

0 Likes