How do I set my device to update on wi-fi only?
Eirinn0801
Enthusiast - Level 1

Galaxy S6. Running up data use with downloads when wifi isn't available. I want to do downloads and updates ONLY over WiFi.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Update only thru wifi
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Settings > Wi-Fi > More > Advanced ... ensure that Keep Wi-Fi On During Sleep is set to Always.  Do you manually turn off mobile data when connected to wi-fi for extended periods of time?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can change your app updates by opening the Play Store app, tapping the Menu button in the upper left-hand corner, then tap Settings.  Tap Auto-Update Apps and either change it to Do Not Auto-Update Apps if you prefer to pick and choose your updates and do them manually, or choose Auto-Update Apps Over Wi-Fi Only.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Eirinn0801,

It is definitely important to have your data available to you for when you want to use it. On the Galaxy S6, if you go into the Playstore, you will see three horizontal lines on the top left (next to the search bar). If you click on those, and click on settings toward the bottom, you will see "Auto-update apps". Click on that, and you can change it to update over Wi-Fi only. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We are here for you.
LeoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Eirinn0801
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is set, but I'm going thru my data allotment like crazy. Never used so much on my last smartphone (htc) -- with the same apps. Something different about Lollipop?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Settings > Wi-Fi > More > Advanced ... ensure that Keep Wi-Fi On During Sleep is set to Always.  Do you manually turn off mobile data when connected to wi-fi for extended periods of time?

0 Likes
Eirinn0801
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now set to Always!

I don't manually turn off mobile data when connected to wifi -- at all. Should I?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some, it gives them peace of mind knowing that the cellular data connection is turned off when they expect to be connected only to wifi.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Eirinn0801
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your help! I will monitor data usage closely until the end of the month. I've only had the phone 10 days!

0 Likes