Galaxy S5: Volume keeps turning up and down at will
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, for the last 2 weeks, my phone keep adjusting it's volume to whatever it wants. It doesn't matter what I set the volume at. Before this, I would always have everything muted except for ring tone then all sounds up when I had a headset plugged is. My phone now has it's own ideas of what I should and shouldn't hear:

I listen to music using headphones to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. Now, after about 10-15 minutes (sometime sooner) of the music playing, my phone will lower the volume so I can't hear it. So I end up waking several times a night to turn it back up again. I thought maybe this was some new thing where the phone thinks I'm idle, so it turns down but, nope. It doesn't matter if I'm still actively using the phone or not. This happens when I'm watching videos on my phone as well.

When I don't have a headset in, my phone will pump up the volume. If I open a game, the sound is up. I can mute it and it will turn itself back up not to long after.

I've tried adjusting the settings, removing my case, a couple different sound control apps, and wiping the cache partition. Nothing helps. Is my phone just broken? If this something that's a symptom of the recent Lolli update? Any suggestion would be golden. I'm also not doing another factory reset. That is way too time consuming and I lost data last time...

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5: Volume keeps turning up and down at will
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

When you press the volume button up and down does it feel like it sticks at all?

Is it consistent that when you have headphones in the volume goes down on it's own, but while no headphones are in it goes up on it's own? Those two never switch?

I wouldn't say your phone is broken just yet, not until all avenues have been taken. How long have you had the phone?

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, the volume button seems fine. Granted, I mostly use it through my phone case (otterbox) which is why I removed the case for a day to see if that helped and it didn't.

Yes, the issue is consistent; muting with headphones, volume up without. Completely opposite of what I want.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Are you using an app to listen to music? Pandora? Or is it music that you've put on the phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know this issues if frustrating mimsydreamer. I'm sorry you're having issues with the volume but we are here to help. Thanks for trying the factory reset step to fix your issues. Is there any water or physical damage to your device? Do you have any 3rd party applications that may be affecting your sound or volume? If so, I recommend removing them temporarily to see if they are causing issues with your phone. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use Amazon Music to listen to music. The volume also turns down when I use Youtube, watch a video on Facebook or any other app. Also when using game apps. Any media will mute when my headset is plugged in.

I don't have any water damage that I know if. Definitely haven't dropped my phone in any water. I've had a really good protective case since I got it, so no physical damages to my phone. Nothing apparent, anyway.

I used to use Sound About to configure my audio, but there was a conflict when I first upgraded to Lollipop, so I removed that app. I've added it back recently when trying to fix this latest issue but the phone ignores the settings I put in Sound About and the basic sound settings on my phone.

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still having this issue and now my sleep is suffering for it. Any suggestions? Should I just take this to a verizon store?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You'd be better off calling tech support. The Verizon employees at the store are sales reps. You might get lucky and get someone who's first suggestion isn't to get a new phone, but you might waste your time.

It sounds like an unusual problem and if you're past the 1 year manufactures warranty and don't have insurance, then I would factory reset and see what happens. Or buy an mp3 player.

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, you do have a point about the Store. I just feel like this is an issue that someone needs to physically look at, since getting help online is a bust. I can call tech support but it feels like it equally be a bust. I pay for total equipment coverage monthly, so I should get some type of help.

I'm definitely not doing another factory reset at this point. I lost pictures and game app data last time; things that I thought were saved server side, but weren't. I also feel like it's a extreme "fix" that shouldn't be suggested so often. It's like if you get a virus on your pc and microsoft says fix it by wiping your drive and reinstalling everything. Sure, it erases the problem, but leaves you with a hell ton of work to do and possibly lost data. No the idea solution to most issues.

Somehow my sound preferences got reversed and it wont allow me to change them. Why is this so hard to fix????

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Sadly calling, chat and visiting the store can all be a bust.

If you pay for insurance you can get a replacement by paying the deductible; $99 most likely. However I would first try a factory reset before spending additional money.

I actually did a factory reset yesterday; got tired of the keyboard fail and a few other smaller issues. It did take about 2-3 hours to get my phone back to how I like it. You can do a factory reset and keep your app data back up and restore turned on. Then you won't be at risk loosing your app data. You'd still need to back up to a cloud service for other things to be saved.

0 Likes