Can I get rid of my s5 while under contract?
kaitlynbroock

I'm looking to get ride of my s5 and downgrade to an older, used phone. Is this possible? I understand that the contract I'm under would still be in tact.

Would I just remove the sim card before giving the phone away? And how would I go about activating the new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I get rid of my s5 while under contract?
Snn5
Legend

You put your SIM from the S5 into the other phone IF the SIMs are the same size.  Otherwise, you'd need to call Verizon if the older phone has never been on your account before.  If you give away that other phone, make sure Verizon knows you no longer have it.  All this means is that you may never be able to trade in, especially given how old the S5 is already and the fact that your older phone is even older, but no, the contract won't change as long as you are not on an Edge agreement.  If you were, you'd have to pay the phone off first.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You put your SIM from the S5 into the other phone IF the SIMs are the same size.  Otherwise, you'd need to call Verizon if the older phone has never been on your account before.  If you give away that other phone, make sure Verizon knows you no longer have it.  All this means is that you may never be able to trade in, especially given how old the S5 is already and the fact that your older phone is even older, but no, the contract won't change as long as you are not on an Edge agreement.  If you were, you'd have to pay the phone off first.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Snn5 wrote:

I have never told VZW when I no longer had a phone. Once another phone is activated on the line, the old phone is released from the account. The exception would be if the phone is still being paid for through the Edge/DPP payment option.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have always (since years past) found it a wise step to take when selling a phone.  Perhaps it is not needed, nor what you might do, but a buyer knowing that Verizon knows that the phone is no longer in the original owner's possession makes me feel better about buying and activating with no issues.  Also, makes me feel better as a seller to know that the buyer won't have any issues with activation, at least not from a security standpoint.  It's OK if you would not do this and perhaps it is not a requirement, however....different strokes, and all that.

0 Likes