Why do updates screw things up instead of delivering on the "promises"?
0416jack
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep getting offered the "opportunity" to update my droid software. I've been saying "NO" all week. My wife "foolishly" said yes to the update and now is having all kinds of problems getting used to the changes. Simple things, like trying to open the phone with a swipe, seem to have gotten more troublesome. Don't these techies know when they are screwing things up for people who are paying a lot of money for convenience?!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why do updates screw things up instead of delivering on the "promises"?
Klue
Master - Level 1

You can say no to the update for a little while but it will eventually install itself.  The best advise I can give you is to do a factory reset on your phone after you back everything up then install the update. Don't do the factory reset after you do the update as you could still have problems. I have been doing the factory reset prior to applying updates for years without experiencing any problems afterwards.  Make sure you do not reload your apps or the data from apps from a backup. reinstall those apps fresh from the app store.

Re: Why do updates screw things up instead of delivering on the "promises"?
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

What issues are you having with your phone since the update?  How long has it been as it will take 48-72 hours for the phone to optimize apps, pics, data etc.... and then it could take a few more days to optimize to your useage on the device.

Common things are some apps not working (they may need to be reinstalled) low Battery life and some others.  Battery life will usually get better.  Part of the battery life issue is by nature we want to see what has changed so we explore more on the devices which use more battery, the other part is apps running in background which will slow down and stop after it optimizes to your use.  Sometimes it is a bad image or it was corrupt in delivery or on the server.

so first things to try here are a Cache Wipe, then if that does not work run it in safe mode to see if it is related to the OS or to a third party app on the device.  Last resort is a Factory Data Reset but this is not always necessary (some people swear by the FDR and recommend it on every major update)

0 Likes