Is Verizon Going to Ignore Android "Stagefright" Vulnerability as Well?
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Users have been crying for Verizon Wireless to release Android 5.1.1 update for the Galaxy S6 edge (and the S5 and S6 as well) for months.  While most other carriers have provided one or more Android 5.1.1 updates to their customers, VZW has been dragging their feet as usual.

Recently, the Android Stagefright vulnerability has been brought to the public's attention, affecting all versions of Android from 2.2 (Froyo) and to Android 5.1.1_r5 (Lollipop).  From a CERT advisory, "According to a Zimperium zLabs blog post (http://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/), Android's Stagefright engine contains multiple vulnerabilities, including several integer overflows, allowing a remote attacker to access files or possibly execute code on the device".  The current Android OS baselines for all of the VZW Samsung Galaxy (as well as many other) devices are affected.  "Google has released Android 5.1.1_r5 to address these issues. Note that not all phones with Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) have this patch applied; patchlevel r5 or above must be installed."

Additional details as well as the full text of CERT Vulnerability Note VU#924951 can be found at http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/924951.

How long must VZW users wait for VZW to address this critical security flaw as the published workarounds are simply unacceptable?

Re: Is Verizon Going to Ignore Android "Stagefright" Vulnerability as Well?
mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon can't release what it doesn't hhave.  They don't write the code, manufactures do.  Meanwhile just dot send or receive video by MMS or use google hangouts.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Read the entire post as well follow the links to the source blog and CERT alert: "Google has released Android 5.1.1_r5 (see patch one, two, three) to address these issues.Why would VZW not receive Android updates from Google as they are released?

I did not say that VZW writes Android OS code, but rather that users are held hostage by the fact that the carrier does not provide updates in a timely manner.

Tidbits
Legend

Show where the manufacturer delivered any update to fix the matter.

As shown with Heartbleed and the keyboard exploit all were done by the manufacturer without carrier intervention. Food for thought.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

From Samsung: "Google notified us about the issue, and we are working to roll-out the software update as soon as possible."

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Don't know the date on that statement, but if Samsung hasn't produced a security update, then Verizon doesn't have it.   Going back to my point, it isn't on Verizon's plate.   This isn't like lollipop.  Producing a pretty software update is lower priority, and patches to 5.0 have been released in relatively quick succession.

Security patches are sent out ASAP.  Verizon doesn't hold them up in any way, which seems to be what you are complaining about.

0 Likes
osc0000
Enthusiast - Level 1

verizon dont care if you dont get any updates any ways when the get the firmware update they dont push it right oway because they want to make sure they include all there

Verizon bloatware

all other carriers have the new uptake of lollipop 5.1.1 even sprint push the update already so NO EXCUSES.

you know what, i dont trust VERIZON anyways they can even make apps AT all theRE appS they make are GARBAGE .!!!read all customers reviews in google play store .!!!

but you know what im done i will not be a apart of there BS i already order a new iphone 6 PROBLEM FIX

LOL

PROBLEM FIX FIX FIX   Can't Touch This .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheS1R you are right 

0 Likes
osc0000
Enthusiast - Level 1

mama you are full of it 

samsung already sent the updates to verizon i will provide you with a email from samsung provent this

this is why im selling my galaxy s6 edge and purchasing a iphone why?

because verizon cant touch this phone they can only sell it LOL

so i dont have to wait for verizon to push a firmware update

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

send the email then please.  Make sure you send it to the media outlets as well as they have gotten no response from ANY manufacturer other than HTC.  So we have to question the validity of said email.

osc0000
Enthusiast - Level 1

im not talking about the vulnerability im saying i got a email from samsung about the firmware update lollipop 5.1.1

wich it was puch to all carriers for the galaxy s6 and edge.  t-mobile push the update to all there customers already sprint too and i think att too i will have to check but i havent got any answer from samsung about the STAGEFRIGHT VULNERABILITY Yet

but guess what?  i dont care what verizon do or samsung  any more i get my iphone tomorrow Smiley Happy

0 Likes