Messaging issues
Talldrink

When I receive longer text messages, it comes in more pages than it should, less than 60 characters per page. Is there a fix for this? I thought the max was 120 characters per message.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messaging issues
deloused
Master - Level 3

Gotcha, that sounds normal, I've only experienced it with receiving messages from customers of other carriers. Basically, Verizon is just delivering the messages in the same way the messages came in to their network.

When sending SMS messages between different carriers or phone models, the received message may not appear as originally sent.

Symptoms can include:

Long SMS messages are split into multiple parts or appear out of order.

Received SMS message contains additional or unexpected characters.

Text displays upside-down question marks: C¿a¿f¿e¿.

This issue can occur when sending SMS messages between carrier networks. For example from carrier A to carrier B, not from carrier A to carrier A. These issues are dependent on how each carrier handles the transfer of SMS messages. It may not occur on all devices or between all carriers.

Follow these tips to avoid inter-carrier SMS issues:

If the person who receives your SMS says that it doesn't appear correctly, try sending a simple SMS like "Test" to verify that you can send and receive standard text.

Try to limit use of non-ASCII characters and symbols. These can include:

Characters in some languages, including Russian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic.

Letters with accents (å, é, ö, and so on).

Non-ASCII symbols ( ● ¢ ¼ ).

Emoji.

Limit SMS messages to the standard length supported by your carrier. You can enable the display of the character count of an SMS message in Settings > Messages > Character Count.

Note: The ability to send SMS/MMS messages to an international number may be limited to certain countries/carriers. If an SMS/MMS message to an international number fails, verify with your carrier that they support sending SMS or MMS to that country/carrier.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be just as perplexed by the text breakdowns too, Talldrink. We are here to help out. Standard text messages have a cap of 160 characters per message.

Through your Note 4, what application are you using to send texts with? Does the same occur when you use a different application?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Talldrink

I was using GO SMS Pro. I had the same problem.

Then I switched over to Messaging+. I had the same problem.

Now I'm using regular messaging. No change.

I did notice this problem shortly after a software update, not the upgrade within the last 2 weeks. I'm speaking of an upgrade from a few months ago.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is definitely strange, Talldrink. We have a few Note 4's in the office, and none exhibit this behavior. So let's do all we can to ensure your texts are going out like normal.

By chance, have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode to see if this issue goes away? (This just temporarily disables downloaded apps, and simulates usage of only factory installed applications:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122810/

If you haven't cleared your cache partition lately, I also highly recommend this step too:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-124074/ 

It can help stop strange/odd behavior after OS or app updates.

Please test these two steps out, and let us know if this helped. Thank you, Talldrink.

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Talldrink

I tried it in safe mode, still the same. No change in my long messages. This is how my long messages come thru.

[removed]

That 2nd link you sent did not work. This is what it said when I clicked on the link, "Oops, we can't find that page."

Personal Information removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That's odd! Does this occur from all people sending you long texts, or just certain (or one) people?

0 Likes
Talldrink

It does not occur from all people. But I can say it does occur from non-Verizon carriers.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Gotcha, that sounds normal, I've only experienced it with receiving messages from customers of other carriers. Basically, Verizon is just delivering the messages in the same way the messages came in to their network.

When sending SMS messages between different carriers or phone models, the received message may not appear as originally sent.

Symptoms can include:

Long SMS messages are split into multiple parts or appear out of order.

Received SMS message contains additional or unexpected characters.

Text displays upside-down question marks: C¿a¿f¿e¿.

This issue can occur when sending SMS messages between carrier networks. For example from carrier A to carrier B, not from carrier A to carrier A. These issues are dependent on how each carrier handles the transfer of SMS messages. It may not occur on all devices or between all carriers.

Follow these tips to avoid inter-carrier SMS issues:

If the person who receives your SMS says that it doesn't appear correctly, try sending a simple SMS like "Test" to verify that you can send and receive standard text.

Try to limit use of non-ASCII characters and symbols. These can include:

Characters in some languages, including Russian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic.

Letters with accents (å, é, ö, and so on).

Non-ASCII symbols ( ● ¢ ¼ ).

Emoji.

Limit SMS messages to the standard length supported by your carrier. You can enable the display of the character count of an SMS message in Settings > Messages > Character Count.

Note: The ability to send SMS/MMS messages to an international number may be limited to certain countries/carriers. If an SMS/MMS message to an international number fails, verify with your carrier that they support sending SMS or MMS to that country/carrier.

0 Likes
Talldrink

If this is normal, why wasn't it doing this before? This started after a system update on my phone.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Perhaps it's the way in which the other carriers software is sending the messages most likely. They update things too.

0 Likes