Inappropriate texts from an unknown person
ilovesoccer

Last night I received several texts from a number I don't know. Then, a friend I had been in touch with earlier in the day received them, as well. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have never had an issue before.  I have blocked the number, but am concerned that my number is "out there."  I don't give it out publicly.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Inappropriate texts from an unknown person
rcschnoor
Legend

kristylburns wrote:

I've been getting them too! I know for sure it is not any of my friends because all of the numbers are weird area codes.

This is no guarantee it isn't one of your friends. There are apps which can make a text look like it is coming from any number the sender wishes. The following is but one example.

Spoof Text Message - Android Apps on Google Play

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Your number might be out there regardless. I don't know if you do any online sales where you post an add on like Craigslist, but that's one way. If you haven't had your phone number very long it could have to do with the previous owner; however it would be weird that your friend got the same exact text messages. Really you only need to be concerned if you're getting crazy calls all day and night of everyday. It's not uncommon to get spam calls on a mobile device. However they can be reported.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It could be one of your friends "playing a joke" on you. I would count this as the reason especially because someone else you know received similar texts. There are plenty of apps out there that let you text for free to any USA number from a different number. TextFree and Google Voice come to mind. You get a different number and then it sends text from that number. I pranked a friend of mine with my Google Voice number.

0 Likes
kristylburns

I've been getting them too! I know for sure it is not any of my friends because all of the numbers are weird area codes. My husband is getting mad because it makes it look like this person wants to have a relationship with me. I wish I could find out how to get them to stop. I'd hate to have to go in and block all of the numbers.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You can block them for free with Verizon for a certain length of time. Or you can find a free app and block them. Why would you hate to block them if they are bothersome?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

kristylburns wrote:

I've been getting them too! I know for sure it is not any of my friends because all of the numbers are weird area codes.

This is no guarantee it isn't one of your friends. There are apps which can make a text look like it is coming from any number the sender wishes. The following is but one example.

Spoof Text Message - Android Apps on Google Play