Verizon and iPad Text Messages
stephen714
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech trying to figure out text messages for iPad Mini 3. He concluded it can't be done except with iMessage. Why does Verizon show very specific instructions on this site for making a text message using an iPad mini3? It is in the help pages and is very specific for the device and type of texts, saying this will also work for imessage. That clearly is saying the iPad mini 3 can send sms text messages. The billing and usage section also breaks down the usage into texts sent by iPhone and by iPad. This is what led me to believe I could do more than send imessages. That is wrong information that Verizon is posting and I used prior to the purchase. Now after many more problems, they want a 475 restocking fee and activation fee to return it. I am returning it due to misleading information. Is there nothing I can do or am I stuck with false information and the restocking fee?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon and iPad Text Messages
Weth
Legend

You can't use any tablet as the primary texting device and use the number associated with the tablet. This is not an iPad mini thing only.  You can receive text messages on the iPad but only under your phone number.  If you don't have a primary Verizon phone, what you want won't work.  You can only use iMessage.  As a work around, you can consider getting a Google voice number and sent texts through the Google hangouts app.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Stephen714-

We apologize for any inconveneince you may have encountered.  That's definitely not the experience we want you to have.  You are able to send and receive text messages on the iPad Mini 3 when using Verizon Messages http://vz.to/1Hzt6eU.  Are there other services you want to use on your iPad Mini?

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vonjul
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed this link, downloaded the app, followed the directions. Now it wants me to enter a code sent in a message. Where do I find the code/message? I am using an iPad not an iPhone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using your tablet for text messaging is a wonderful convenience, as you don't have to keep your phone near you, Vonjul. We're still on the case. Is the tablet the only device you have on your Verizon account? Have you received anything in the Verizon Messages app, or the standard messaging app since you received that notification about a code?

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vonjul
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn’t receive any further messages. It’s the only device I have on my Verizon account.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You can't use any tablet as the primary texting device and use the number associated with the tablet. This is not an iPad mini thing only.  You can receive text messages on the iPad but only under your phone number.  If you don't have a primary Verizon phone, what you want won't work.  You can only use iMessage.  As a work around, you can consider getting a Google voice number and sent texts through the Google hangouts app.  

0 Likes
stephen714
Enthusiast - Level 1

There was such a short window of opportunity to either setup and keep the device or return it that I had no choice but to take it to a local Verizon store to return it.  That is unfortunate because I really wanted that tablet. The experience has been nasty all the way around. Although I had the receipt for the returned tablet from under a week of having it, Verizon has been billing me about $400-$50o most months since. I paid one bill that was only $50 high because I expected it would be easier. Then the outrageous bills started to come every month since July 2015. I called or went on chat at Verizon and was spending hours every month when the bill came in.  To make it even worse, Verizon had me paying under what they called one bill and that gave me one bill with both wireless and my land line on it. It seems that the wireless people are unable to do anything at all regarding your land line and vice versa. This became unnecessarily complicated because neither knew what the other was doing. To make a long story short, I ended up with a different plan before the failed attempt to add the iPad from Verizon. I am now paying twice as much for 3 GB as I was paying before the problem for 5 GB. In addition I don't see any provision to add a device for $10/month as I had before. I wasted so much time with an ignorant tech and his supervisor trying to setup an ipad to do what Apple and Verizon say it should do and I am also penalized with the account changes for no good reason. I guess I will just use the second device I have now with my WiFi or find a pay as you go carrier for that. The other thing I am probably going to do is, to recoup the added expense if I do add the 2nd device here is to cancel the second land line I have had for 25 years. The cost has gone from about $10/month for the second land line to about $35/month which will be just what I need to pay the added cost for the line that was supposed to be $10/Month. I hardly need 1 land line these days, let alone 2. My alarm system uses the first line in case of breakin. It seizes the line so I always had the 2nd line to call police in that case. So, 2 can play at Verizon's game and I will cancel at least one land line to pay their fdees.

0 Likes
stephen714
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was never trying to go without a primary Verizon wireless line. I should at least have been able to use WiFi for iMessage but the Verizon techs said no. Now with another 2nd device I have I am going to take your suggestion and try Google Voice.  Thanks.

0 Likes