signal booster for CDMA
MP_Ranger

We have been searching for a signal booster for our car that will give our Verizon CDMA Apple iPhones better signal in the rural areas in which we travel between SE Georgia and Central Florida.  Signal for our phones is often early LTE, seldom 3G and as we travel between Hilton Head South Carolina and High Springs Florida we need our phones to work.  Seeking exact frequency configuration for the network in SE Georga and N. Central Florida to find a CDMA repeater. The ones we find are for the wireless operator in the frequency range of 824-894 MHz. I need to know what frequency ranges and what devices Verizon allows on the network to provide multiple users use of data and voice.  So who can tell me what works?  We have looked at

Vktech® CDMA 850MHz Mobile Phone Signal Repeater Booster Amplifier + Yagi Antenna on Amazon and others, but Verizon customers give these devices very critical reviews on the Verizon network.  What exactly constitutes a VErizon data and voice frequency in our locations and are there specific success stories with signal boosters?  Desperately seeking signal.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: signal booster for CDMA
MP_Ranger

Verizon does claim that its coverage area is much better than it actually is. With minor disclaimers like "environmental conditions may alter these coverage areas" it does not acknowledge that scattering of signal by the pine forests of the southeast and many areas where elevation falls below its final reach. The signal maps report excessively much better coverage than is monitored by actual signal strength test equipment. Therefore, it fails its customers by mot really marketing solutions like signal boosters.  Better to simply ignore the problem than admit it right? Yes, I poke at Verizon for its simple failure to address the topic even online where customers seek solutions used in places like China. Well the Chinese do work on solutions.  So, it you in your desperation have actually tried some of these solutions, report on how they worked for you.  I've read man articles that talk about exterior to interior antenna distancing and feedback loops, apparently these devices need a clear signal barrier similar to a hard steel vehicle roof.  So truckers, what have you found besides CB radios to solve this communication issue?  Verizon, don't be afraid to reply with a solution. We understand you don't market boosters in you struggle to upgrade your network.

0 Likes
Re: signal booster for CDMA
dbvirago
Enthusiast - Level 3

I drive that same stretch of road several times a year (Savannah to Brunswick, Ga.) Up until earlier this year, I had a strong signal through the entire route. The last trip, in May, I ranged from No Signal, to 1-2 bars and constantly dropped calls.

As is covered in many threads here and on their Facebook page, Verizon did something earlier this year that rendered their service marginal at best. Some think it was the switch to LTE and others think they lost a lot of towers when they sold off their towers to a third party.

I don't know what caused it, but it's a shame and inexcusable that their customers are now having to rely on extra hardware or jury-rigged solutions to get the service we contracted for when we signed on with them.