Can I use wi-fi only while traveling?
ilk0606

HI, I'll be traveling to Taiwan and Japan for a month. I was wondering

1. If I just want to use my iPhone 6 plus like an iPod touch (I.e., using local wifi available to do email, using apps, etc, no calling nor text messaging), how can I set it up in my phone so that I can continue use it without causing any roaming charges? Do I just turning off everything in the roaming part and cellular data in the setting? I just want to be sure since I saw someone posted even they put it on airplane mode, it's still possible to cause charges.

2. I'm also considering purchasing a Taiwan SIM card to use in Taiwan, is that possible? And when I do that, I won't incur any verizon charges (except my usual monthly charges) while I'm using Taiwan SIM card, correct?

thank you for your help in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Travel to Taiwan and Japan
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Taking out your Verizon SIM card will ensure that you are not using any roaming or Verizon services...only wifi will be available to you. 

Getting a local SIM will be according to whatever agreement you make with the local provider - there will be no connection to Verizon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

yeah you could just take the Verizon sim out. and if decide to get another one you'll pay that provider no chargers from vzw while there besides the monthly usual

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Taking out your Verizon SIM card will ensure that you are not using any roaming or Verizon services...only wifi will be available to you. 

Getting a local SIM will be according to whatever agreement you make with the local provider - there will be no connection to Verizon.

0 Likes