Visual Voicemail 1.1.13.1 cannot connect
teresaapp

As of Sunday Jul 5, my Visual Voicemail quit working. When I start the app, I get the message "No network connection is available to contact the voicemail server." Then the app closes. I can't get to existing voicemails or download new ones. Nothing else seems to be affected--I can make/receive calls and emails, and browse the Web--is something up with the voicemail system?

Could this be a lifecycle issue? I have a Samsung Omnia II running WM 6.5 Professional.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail 1.1.13.1 cannot connect
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi teresaapp!

Thanks for the details, let's see what's causing the problem! Have you attempted to remove and re-add the Visual Voicemail application?

AyaniB_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail 1.1.13.1 cannot connect
sootsnoot

At about the same time (sometime between June 25 and July 9), mine also stopped working. The way it stopped working was that I just didn't get any new visual voicemail - it signed in and showed my messages, but no new messages got added, and the voicemail icon did not display on my phone. When I dialed *86, I had a couple of new messages.

I had a couple of long chat sessions. In the first one the agent reset some stuff, then had me reset my pin. After the pin reset, when visual voicemail asked me for the pin I got "NETWORK ERROR". He had me check software versions, and in the end said it sounded like a network problem rather than a phone problem, and filed a ticket. The next day I got a txt saying: "Vis. Vmail is no longer supported for your device. Please attempt to redownload from Get It Now or take to Verizon store."

Next chat session, the agent told me the problem was that I didn't have the latest software, and that was my own fault for not keeping it up to date. Too bad it was too late to update it now because my phone is too old and they no longer support it (LG enV3 aka VX 9200). That kind of ticked me off, because from the previous chat, I found that I actually had the latest software (V7), even though Verizon's records had it listed as V2. It was when I told the first agent that I actually had V7 on the phone that he decided to file a ticket with network support.

When I finally got through on that point with the second agent, she became a bit more sympathetic, but still said there was nothing to be done but upgrade the phone since mine was no longer sold or supported. This is a great phone, clamshell with full qwerty keyboard, and all of the features I want, but not the extra downloadable apps and gunk that I don't want, and in particular no touchscreen. I need to feel real keys - neither audio nor tactile electronic feedback work for me, I need real keys. It is categorized as a basic phone, but it does have data (mobile web browser and visual voicemail). I never use the browser, but I rely on visual voicemail, as I hate dealing with the voice on *86).

Eventually, she discovered that with their latest "upgrade" to their voicemail software, visual voicemail no longer works on *any* basic phones. And they no longer sell any basic phones that support visual voicemail. After wrangling for some time about my "failure to keep my software up to date", it turns out Verizon simply decided to screw everyone with a basic phone, forcing them to buy a new phone, and lose their basic phone discount, just to keep the service that they committed to for two years. Is that breach of contract? I suppose if you read enough fine print you'll find somewhere that while you have to pay a penalty for breaking your two-year commitment, Verizon can do whatever they want to your service at any time without penalty. I've never really thought much about switching carriers before, but this has pushed me to the edge. The support agents were great, but Verizon just screwed my service over without any notice, and did not inform their support people that they were making a breaking change to their software.

The second agent was so good that she spent a lot of time trying to find a phone that suited me - it was during this process that she discovered to her surprise that none of the current basic phones support visual voicemail. Talk about unprofessional rollout.

0 Likes