Why does my phone overheat after the latest software update?
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone has been overheating while recording video after the latest update on May 13, 2015. I would record something for a period of 3 minutes which is fine. Then record again about a min later, after two more minutes of recording, phone tells me that camera has to turn off due to device getting too hot. Software/Phone dumps the latest recording without saving it. This all transpired after the latest update. I think this new update is too much for the CPU on the phone. My phone is on a power saver, have my back light dim, and while using the phone...the phone screen would get extremely bright for a bit. Then the screen will go back to the dim. I had issues with the camera before the update and now ist back to working decent except for the over heating issues with the video recording. How can this technical issue be resolved besides don't record for long periods. Not fair due to I record at numerous sporting events. Next resolution please?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does my phone overheat after the latest software update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GoDaddy, please do not walk out the back door. We absolutely are here to help. With the new software, many applications that customers use on their phones have not upgraded to be compatible. While Google did notify developers last year, many still have not changed their software which is indeed creating some issues. Along with this, phone manufacturers always suggest that when there is a large software update, like Lollipop, that a full factory data reset can go a very long way in ensuring that your phone is running smoothly.

As the mother of 3, I know that I would hate to lose any photos or videos. For this reason, we do have the Verizon Cloud that can be used to back up pictures, videos, contacts, music and even documents. With your S4, simply go to the Play Store to search and download Verizon Cloud.

Once installed, please go to the Apps, Settings, Factory Data Reset, Reset Phone and Delete All.

I am certain that once this is complete you will find that you are able to use that video recorder as you have in the past.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Go Daddy-

Having to deal with an overheating device is not what we want for you. This is certainly of great concern to me. Let's gather more information for a promt solution. What make and model phone do you have? Has anything happened to the phone as far as physical or liquid damage? How long ago was the software updated?

CarmenT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ddkmartin
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone started overheating as well but not just videoing. Lots of times even in cold air conditioned building

GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 4. All software & firmware has been updated. This all transpired until the newest Android update 5.0.1 Lollipop. Phone gets hot when I'm in a social media (Twitter, Facebook) as well along with charging of the phone (Random). But really bothers me about the video thing. Its the only way I can get sporting event photos (Snapshot) since the shutter speed is VERY slow and focusing lags. Breaks my heart, really like this phone but don't want to trade it in for a refurbished. Not comfortable with getting the new Samsung just yet (no removable battery, SD card). 

0 Likes
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW...Nothing has happened to the phone. Has not been in water and have a decent phone case in case of being dropped which has only been from at most 1.5 feet (restroom..sorry TMI). Normal wear and tear.

0 Likes
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, Galaxy S4...just so you don't get it mixed up with the Galaxy 4 Tablet..

0 Likes
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, another issue with a Galaxy S4 issues, screen rotation not working properly. When watching a youtube video or pics..screen will not rotate to make video/image larger. From what I have read, it is part of the new update issues. Sounds like Lollipop 5.0.1 has a lot of issues that was not thought out before releasing for all makes of Android phones.

0 Likes
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

WOW Verizon...thank you so very much for your assistance on the overheating phone issue back in July 3rd (sarcasm). I know it is not your fault that these phones are turning crappy after 4 months to a year, but dayem a follow up would be nice. After 4 months, my camera goes to shit, no assistance from Geek Squat, after Android update, now getting overheating issues which enables me to use my phone to full use via camera/video or the social media. I salute you for your promptness with a solution with your cut and paste assigned responses that you use on everyones post about overheating cell phones (sarcasm). I am very disappointed with the customer service that is provided on this blog. It is a waste. I don't have any issues with Verizon outside of this. Pay my bill on time, no complaints about phone service, but this blog assistance bites.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You were told you could send it in for replacement, but did not want to.  Factory reset was another suggestion.  You have options.

0 Likes
GoDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5, unless you are a Verizon Rep responding to my blog your opinion and input is not required. Not that I really don't have to explain myself to you but here it is...I didn't have time to send in my phone for replacement due to needing it for a sporting event (I was just going to have to deal with the issues at the time) and as far as doing a factory reset, it was done. I had asked the Geek Squat to do a factory reset just in case I did not do it correctly in which they would not. Their theory was just get a replacement phone. The major issues (overheating) appeared after the stupid Lollipop upgrade. I was able to deal with the previous camera issues and now, not quite so much. Carriers know that there is an issue with this recent upgrade and they need to just fess up and say yes, there is an issue with it and Andriod is on it to resolve the issue. An explanation of what is happening would be nice but, the carriers do not want to loose money with giving replacements away and yet, heck, they may be making more due to ppl getting rid of the phone to get a new one. So why explain then if they are making money. The new upgrade is not compatible with the Galaxy s4, too much data being passed through the processor that can't keep up, which is what I think the reason for the overheating issues. Now with that said, thank you so very much for your input and response. Your reminder is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes