Galaxy s5 make/receive calls it reboots
astars1990
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a galaxy S5. I can use internet get date use texting everything 100% except when I try to make a call it doesn't even go off the contact to the calling screen it just reboots. When receiving a call I get the call but when I try and answer it immediately reboots. Its the only time it does it. I have deleted all my contacts, I've done a factory reset 5 times. Ive updated all my apps, Ive cleared the cach multiple times. ive tried using google voice and not the stock phone program and it still does it...I'm lost and upset about it. I know there will be questions so ask away.

Thanks for your time Pj

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy s5 make/receive calls it reboots
atx2222
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this same problem did the update a few weeks ago and phone was working fine. Then somehow it would start rebooting anytime I tried to make a call or to pick up a received call.

Based on the steps above here is specifically what I did. Sorry it isnt a perfect answer, but  my phone is working now

Download and install kies 3.0

Run it

Select tools -> Firmware upgrade an initialization

System will request that you unplug phone to install USB driver

Unplug phone

Select install

In the background a phone recover guide screen will show up

Install window will eventually disappear (30 seconds for me)

Plug phone back in

Select phone recovery guide button

A phone recovery guide window will popup (This screen is more like a help guide, not useful)

System requests that you unplug device and restart kies software, then select whichever firmware option you want

Unplug device and restart kies software

Open kies

Select tools->firmware upgrade/initialiszation

(It only asks for a model if you let your phone disconnect by falling asleep)

Otherwise a window comes up to initialize phone

At this point I decided to backup first and exited initialization

Go to backup and restore, backup phone (select all items)

Select tools->firmware upgrade/initialization (it ended up asking me if I wanted to backup, but since I already did I did not this time)

I got some kind of failure window and my phone looked like it was bricked (stuck on do not disconnect target)

I turned off kies, unplugged phone and pulled battery to reset

My phone was not actually cleared/bricked and I could now make/receive calls

This obviously wasnt a normal sequence so it probably wont work for you. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's stop the rebooting, astars 1990! We appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done to resolve this issue. When did this issue start? Have you tried the repair assistant for your device? It does a thorough job of removing any corrupt software and rebuilding it with a fresh copy. http://vz.to/1N6yVRy

LynnE_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
astars199026

WHen i try to plug my phone is with it like it says it says Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's extremely odd, astars199026. This is a unique issue we will resolve for you. When did this start? Did you make any recent changes to the phone when this started? Any software modifications done to your phone? Please keep us posted.

JorgeO_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

astars1990
Enthusiast - Level 1

Started about 2 weeks ago and only thing I have done is the new update. I have done roughly 5 factory resets. No water damage or any other kind of damage to the phone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

astars1990,

That is quite the bit of work that you have done so far! When processing the resets, what specific steps do you take? I don't want you to have to redo anything that has aleady been done.

SandyS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
astars199026

Well I have gone through the setting on the phone..ie Setting,Backup and reset,Factory data reset. I've also just tried the setting reset. I have also booted the phone into recovery mode and done a factory reset through there. Multiple times on both.

0 Likes
MobileMaster

This is NOT a unique issue.

My wife and I both have Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5's.

The problem for us began after the last OTA update.

I tried many restarts, etc.   The update didn't work well with the existing operating system image.

What finally worked for us was a complete factory restoration from the Samsung KIES Software.  Not an OTA VZW patch on a patch on a patch.

It would be nice to have the option of a clean factory Samsung operating system, like a factory fresh unlocked phone.

0 Likes
astars199026

What exactly do you mean by that? Ive never used The Samsung Kies Software...could you explain how to do that please! MobileMaster

0 Likes
cora8504
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Software Repair Assistant is built into Kies. It will load a fresh copy of the Software Update, verses a normal factory reset that reloads the existing copy of the software. Kies is available to download on Samsung's website.

You can also do the Software Repair Assistant without Kies

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80201/

0 Likes