Why not receiving alerts of new voicemail on iPhone 5?
pianodirt

We have very a very limited data plan on the More Everything plan. If I turn cellular data off, then I do not receive Visual Voicemail nor do I receive any alert that I have a new voicemail. The only way to know is to check my missed calls to see if someone called, then call in to my voicemail to see if I have a new message. This is a huge inconvenience! I do not want to leave cellular data on all the time because I usually have wifi available for when I need data. Connected to wifi, I also don't receive visual voicemail nor any voicemail alerts. I appears that voicemail alerts and visual voicemail only work if cellular data is turned on? If this is true, what other functions of the iPhone only work when cellular data is on? I want to minimize cellular data usage and only use it when absolutely necessary. I thought I could use wifi for all my data needs and only use cellular as a back-up. I have iOS 8.3.

A couple questions:

1. Is there a way to receive voicemail alerts without turning on cellular data? (I don't care about visual voicemail)

2. If I do leave cellular data on all the time, does visual voicemail use my data plan? If yes, how much data does a typical 30 second voicemail use?

Thanks for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why not receiving alerts of new voicemail on iPhone 5?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pianodirt excellent questions, I know how important it is to have available data so you can use it for other applications on your phone. The iPhone's voicemail is different from the VZW-branded Visual Voicemail services. However you are able to still check your voicemail the traditional way without using data by dialing *86 and putting in your password. A 30 second voicemail will use limited data, unless it's replayed multiple times since it needs data to play the voicemail. If you need additional information about Visual Visual feel free to visit our comparison sheet. http://vz.to/1LRALX6

GersonG_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

X

0 Likes
pianodirt

Thank you for your reply Gerson. This is a real bummer to hear. So then I need to keep cellular data on to receive voicemail notifications. Yes, I can *86 whenever I want to check for and listen to voicemail, but I've never had to do that just to know if I even have a new voicemail. Perhaps I can get used to it. Or perhaps keep cellular data on all the time won't use as much background data as I might expect.

Where can I give my feedback or product suggestion to Verizon Wireless? I would like to suggest an option for the iPhone of a non-cellular-data "new voicemail" alert. My previous non-smart cell phone with Verizon did not have a data plan and I received such notifications of voicemails. I don't care for nor need the fancy visual voicemail.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Turn off apps you don't want to use cellular data to limit background data use.  Set anything you can to use wifi only.  

0 Likes