Constant WiFi notifications on Android Lollipop Verizon phones
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

I just bought an HTC One M8 and updated to Android Lollipop 5.0.1 through Verizon's OTA update. Now I'm getting constant WiFi notifications in the status bar and pull-down bar, one saying "WiFi networks available" and another saying "Connected to [the WiFi SSID]". I've unchecked everything related in Settings > WiFi and anything else that looks related to WiFi notifications, and they don't stop. It's constantly making me think there's an important notification or getting in the way of other notifications, pushing them off the screen.

Every forum post I'm reading on the internet is saying these can't be disabled except through root. I contacted Verizon customer support through chat and they said "The notification simply lets you know when you are connected to wifi if this did not show up and you were under the impression you were on wifi but really using data that would be an issue this is just there to prevent that." The problem is that it only happens while I'm on WiFi, and shows "Connected to", completely killing the point. If Verizon thinks I was under the impression that I was on WiFi while I wasn't, they would show a notification while WiFi is off.

The only way to stop these notifications is to disable WiFi, meaning I'm more likely to go over my data plan and pay them the extra fee. So it appears to be extortion. If nothing else, there should be a class-action lawsuit to at least give us the option to disable the notifications, as they only happen while WiFi is on.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Constant WiFi notifications on Android Lollipop Verizon phones
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you leave your Wi-Fi on all the time? Does it alert your multiple times about the same wi-fi you are connected to even if you don't leave the area; for instance every x amount of minutes?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

What do you mean by "constant wifi notifications....", are you getting a sound or vibration?  A wifi icon in notification bar? Or do you only see notice when you pull down notifications?image.jpg

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Do you leave your Wi-Fi on all the time?

Yes, I've always left WiFi on since I've had a smartphone, it's on by default in Android, it's assumed normal behavior of most people.

The notifications only happen while WiFi is on, there's no setting to turn them off (believe I've tried changing everything I could find, all forum posts say they can't be disabled except through root), so having to disable WiFi to get rid of them is basically extortion by Verizon, otherwise they'd have a notification that WiFi is off (going by their logic that they want to remind you to connect to WiFi to save data, which is negated by the "Connected to" notification). There is a file in Android system to turn off the notification but it requires root and Verizon locks the bootloader.

Does it alert your multiple times about the same wi-fi you are connected to even if you don't leave the area; for instance every x amount of minutes?

As I said in the original post, it alerts me when it connects to WiFi, and alerts me when WiFi networks are available (meaning it's not connected to any WiFi). I don't connect to unsecured networks, and even if I set it to automatically connect to any network regardless of security (I'm not even sure that's possible), it would still add a notification that I've connected.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I don't know that your statement is true, though I don't know that it is false, but I personally never leave my Wi-Fi on because it drains the battery when I am not using it.

It must be an HTC One feature because when I go into my Wi-Fi, use the settings menu button within, I have "Wi-Fi Notifications: notify me when wi-fi is available or connected" and it can be unselected. Verizon is half right, it is to let you know when you're connected, but it also seems to be device specific.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wi-Fi is more true and Constant more reliable than the Network if you have a Good Router there for it Doesn't pull on the Battery as much as its the only source the phone is pulling from if you have it set up Correctly I know as I've done several Test with my Equipment..

Different OS's might treat it Different mine what I'm using does well.. with Wi-Fi..

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I find my network connection and Wi-Fi to be equally as reliable. That is of course as long as I have 4G and for the most part I always do.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you look under the Advanced settings for wifi?

I made it a habit to turn off wifi when I leave my house and turn it on when I return. I do a similar thing with the cellular data connection too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yup it can be.. On Network I usually Get anywhere from 8 to 20.00 mbps upload)  on my NetGear N600 Cox Premier I get anywhere from 50.00 mbps up to 105.00 depending on from what source I'm pulling the speed Test.. Cox Premier can haul the Mail for sure b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dhinged,

I can attest to those notifications on the phone being an annoyance. As MiiHere, mama23dogs and B33  have given some great information I would love have you check your settings to ensure it shows as follows:

Settings>WiFi>three dots in the top right corner>Advanced:
Ensure network notification is not check marked.
Show WiFi pop up is not check marked.
Scanning always available, is that ON or OFF?
WiFi Optimization, does that have a check mark there?

As with your original post, not sure if that is how you altered the settings before. But if you are still having the issues, I would suggest to do the opposite of what it says in your phone now. In those settings above to see if that helps with your issue. Keep us posted on your outcome.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!