NAT restrict is blocking me sending TXT messages
jimkd1yv

Samsung GS6.  When using VPN, I am unable to send outgoing TXT messages.  I have tried the Verizon TXT app, and the Samsung TXT app.  Both fail saying "Failed text message".  I have tried multilpe OpenVPN clients.  All show the same error.  I have tried with and without WiFi connected.  Same error.

My VPN provider advised the following:

"It seems that Verizon has recently made a change to the IP addresses it provides its users. The IP addresses are now NAT restricted, which prevents VPNs from being able to properly connect.

"In order to resolve this, you need to contact Verizon, and ask them to provide you with a NAT unrestricted IP address. This will allow the VPN to connect and remain connected again."

How do I get Verizon to provide me a NAT unrestricted IP address?

Thanks

JimR

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: NAT restrict is blocking me sending TXT messages
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

A fellow CL suggested I take a look at this thread as we deal with VPNs, NAT and other similar issues in the broadband area of the forums.

> When using VPN, I am unable to send outgoing TXT messages.

You may have to specify here.  Text messaging should not be a network application restricted by the NAT, unlike a chat client that does go over the internet.  SMS text messaging goes straight to the VZW network over the phone signal unless you  happen to be sending mixed media messages (images, fancy emoticons, special fonts, etc.)  When mixed media is sent over traditional SMS texting services then data is used that would be impacted by your local network/vpn connection.

> I have tried the Verizon TXT app, and the Samsung TXT app.

I admit I am not familiar with either of these, but they sound like normal network connected chat clients as opposed to traditional SMS texting features on a phone.  If that is the case then yes, you will need to adjust your connection when the VPN is engaged so that these services can find your phone correctly.

> The IP addresses are now NAT restricted, which prevents VPNs from being able to properly connect.

Not true.  VPNs are the only work around to VZWs NAT firewall when it comes to setting up a public IP.  They certainly do work when properly configured as we use them every day for business and personal use with various VZW jetpacks.  If you connect over traditional ports and protocols your VPN clients will be supported.  Its the strange configurations on nontraditional ports and protocols that end up getting blocked.  I suggest contacting your VPN server administrators and asking for alternative connection configuration options such as connecting over IPsec/SSL or different ports on your local VPN client.

> and ask them to provide you with a NAT unrestricted IP address. This will allow the VPN to connect and remain connected again."

Acquiring a NAT unrestricted/public IP address would be the equivalent of purchasing a static IP address from VZW.  That would be a one time purchase of around $500.  This is not always a great option for people to which the workaround solution is to setup and configure a VPN.  Once a VPN is engaged users can then leverage the public IP address of the VPN server to communicate with and locate their personal devices on the internet.

> How do I get Verizon to provide me a NAT unrestricted IP address?

Give VZW a call and ask about a static IP.  A rep will run you through the registration and purchasing options.