How do I restore my service when I return home from traveling internationally?
RiseUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently visited Europe for a week and purchased a prepaid SIM on the Vodafone network to use while I was there. Everything worked great. However, when I came back home to the US and put my Verizon SIM back in the phone, I no longer have mobile data working. I can make and receive calls without issue, and WiFi and Bluetooth are no problem.

What shall I do to regain access to Verizon's mobile data network?

P.S. If it makes a difference, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: After returning home from overseas and using a different carrier's SIM, I no longer have mobile data working back at home. What shall I do?
rrobes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue upon returning from Canada and using a Canadian sim. My issue was resolved by going to settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, access point names (APN),  make sure that the APN under Verizon Internet is named VZWINTERNET in caps and selected, tap the lower left of your phone and select save. This should immediately restore your mobile data.

You probably changed the APN when you changed the sim card. I resolved this when I stopped at a Verizon store in Maine to get help with the same problem. I copied the APN from the clerk's phone and restored my service. The clerk and the Verizon tech did not seem to realize that an APN name change was critical.

View solution in original post

Re: After returning home from overseas and using a different carrier's SIM, I no longer have mobile data working back at home. What shall I do?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Go to settings>more networks>mobile networks and make sure mobile data is selected

then check network mode (below) is set to Global

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I would then power down your phone, remove the sim card and put it back in and power it back up.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RiseUp,

Welcome back home! I hope you had a great trip.

Let's get your data back up and running. What happens when you try accessing data on your phone? Are you getting an error message? Did you make sure Cellular Data is enabled, as you fellow community member suggested http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-77834/?

I'm here if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

RiseUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

MiiHere, thank you for responding. I've already checked that mobile data is enabled and that the network mode is set to Global. I have also done the power down, remove SIM, reinsert, and power on. Still, the problem remains. 😞

JohnB, when I try to use the Chrome browser, it says that I'm offline and that mobile data is unavailable. Also, the Hangouts app gives the error, "Data network unavailable."

Any other ideas? Is it possible that the Vodafone guy messed up the Verizon APN on my phone somehow?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

When you power the device back on does data and global stay selected? Do you have global data roaming access set to "connect to mobile networks while roaming"?

Can you go into Settings>data usage and make sure mobile data is also selected in there and that "limit my data usage" is not selected?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RiseUp,

I appreciate the additional details! Thanks for checking those settings. Let's take a closer look at your account and make sure everything is set up correctly. Please reply to the direct message I just sent you so I can access your account and further assist.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rrobes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue upon returning from Canada and using a Canadian sim. My issue was resolved by going to settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, access point names (APN),  make sure that the APN under Verizon Internet is named VZWINTERNET in caps and selected, tap the lower left of your phone and select save. This should immediately restore your mobile data.

You probably changed the APN when you changed the sim card. I resolved this when I stopped at a Verizon store in Maine to get help with the same problem. I copied the APN from the clerk's phone and restored my service. The clerk and the Verizon tech did not seem to realize that an APN name change was critical.

RiseUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, thank you SO much, rrobes! Your answer was precisely correct! As soon as I changed the APN to VZWINTERNET and saved it, my mobile data immediately came back.

Again, thank you for posting what worked for you. This was kinda driving me a bit crazy.  Smiley Happy

And thanks to everyone else who replied. Consider this problem SOLVED!