Front Facing Camera disappeared
CherieRM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Monday, May 25, 2015, I was taking pictures and all was well.  A few hours later I tried to take another picture and found that all I can take is 'selfies' because the camera only faces the phone user!  I've tried to uninstall/reinstall and that doesn't work.  I have even tried installing a different camera app and am given an error message that the app can not be loaded because the phone has no front facing camera.  I rely upon my camera on a daily basis and now I'm more than frustrated at this situation.  Is there any way to correct this?  Was this a bad update?  Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Front Facing Camera disappeared
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
CherieRM,

I'd be lost without my camera as well. Let's see if we can get it up and running. Did anything change on your device before this started? Any new software updates or new apps downloaded?

I know you mentioned you get an error message when you tried the other app. Do you get any error messages on the original camera? What happens when you try to do non-selfies?

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
CherieRM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I didn't download anything new. Camera was great, and in an instant it wasn't. There is no ability to have the camera face away from me. The only photos that can be taken are one facing me. The only other option is to record, but again it will only record facing me. The camera doesn't have any settings to look at, and the ability to switch from taking a photo looking away to a photo of me is now gone.

As I stated earlier, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing changes.

I tried other camera apps, but I get an error message that it can not be installed because I am missing the front facing camera.

Thank you for your willingness to help!!!!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi CherieRM,

I'm so sorry to hear about this issue continuing. Thanks for completing the troubleshooting steps that you already have. What I would recommend doing at this point is backing up the phone using Verizon Cloud or another backup service you prefer, and then completing a factory data reset of the phone under Apps > Backup & Reset. If you still experience the same issue after that, we'd need to then help you off of the forums so that we can get some account information and check our other options.

EricW_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
CherieRM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will do what is suggested and hope that solves the issue. Thank you. I will keep you posted on the progress.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks, CherieRM.

We'll be here. Just let us know. Have a nice night!

EricW_VZW
CherieRM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry to report that after a factory reset, there is no change in the camera.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Your front facing camera may be hardware related and not a software issue.  This means no easy user-end repair.  Typically, when a factory reset does not repair a hardware issue, you either have to repair the phone or buy a new phone or depending on your budget and upgrade date, live with it.

CherieRM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried filing a claim with the insurance and it is not covered. My phone is only a few months old and because its a defect within the hardware I would think that a replacement should be sent. I will not just suck it up and deal with it as I use my camera on a daily basis. I purchased my phone at the end of February and I can not afford to pay full price for a new phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, insurance will defer to the manufacturer for repair being it is less than a year old.  Verizon can help you with this process, or you can go straight through Motorola.