Military duty station
reMARKable808
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I'll be stationed in Korea for a year and I was wondering if there was a way I could continue my plan their without paying extra fees or doing a military freez on my account.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Military duty station
Weth
Legend

What you are asking is not possible.  As you refer, Verizon does allow military members and family to have free suspension while deployed with no monthly costs.  You can resume when you return. 

You can keep your service going, but using your phone in Korea is going to be very expensive on Verizon's plan Due to International roaming charges.   There is no Verizon service in South Korea.   You can get a Verizon global roaming plan that is $40 per month extra and only gives you 100 minutes/100 outgoing texts/100 MB data.  Incoming texts are free. 

ANother alternative to consider is to suspending your service and using wifi only in Korea.  You can set up apps like whatsapp or Google Hangouts or FaceTime for family and friends to call.  You can even get a U.S. Number with Google so people can call you with no international long distance.  If you want you could add a Korean SIM to your phone to get local calling and data in Korea.  When you come back to US reactivate service and then suspend again when you go back to Korea. 

Thank you for serving. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
reMARKable808,

Hello there! I first want to thank you for your service. We want to make sure we are understanding what you are asking. Do you want to continue to use your Verizon Wireless phone and service while in Korea? Will you only be stationed in South Korea? How much do you plan on using your phone?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
reMARKable808
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

Yes, I would like to continue my Verizon wireless phone and current service if possible without paying any extra fees.

Yes, I will only be stationed in South Korea for the next year starting from sometime in mid June. I will also be coming back to the U.S. During my leave days. I plan to use my phone everyday as usual as my primary source of contact.

Deus, Mark Lester B.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What you are asking is not possible.  As you refer, Verizon does allow military members and family to have free suspension while deployed with no monthly costs.  You can resume when you return. 

You can keep your service going, but using your phone in Korea is going to be very expensive on Verizon's plan Due to International roaming charges.   There is no Verizon service in South Korea.   You can get a Verizon global roaming plan that is $40 per month extra and only gives you 100 minutes/100 outgoing texts/100 MB data.  Incoming texts are free. 

ANother alternative to consider is to suspending your service and using wifi only in Korea.  You can set up apps like whatsapp or Google Hangouts or FaceTime for family and friends to call.  You can even get a U.S. Number with Google so people can call you with no international long distance.  If you want you could add a Korean SIM to your phone to get local calling and data in Korea.  When you come back to US reactivate service and then suspend again when you go back to Korea. 

Thank you for serving. 

0 Likes
reMARKable808
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your help. You have been very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes